Was there ever an EF 50mm F1.8 L?

andreas_holmstr_m

LMAO, that's a good one! ! ! Actually, it's very well done. It does not look painted on at all. It looks like the red plastic ring is sitting where the lens hood would attach to the lens, so it may not be able to mount a hood any longer. I think it's quite cute but as the bidding is already about USD 160, I'll leave it for someone else.

<p>ROFL! It looks very well done; the red ring seems to have been painted on carefully, and the letter L is also precisely applied. But it's just an original model 50/1.8 with cosmetic modifications.</p>

<p>I do have to wonder what the point is, though. The point of adding a red ring to a non-L lens would be to impress people, but who is this one going to impress? The vast majority of people will not have any clue what a red ring on a lens is supposed to mean, so it's a waste of time. And many of those who do know will be suspicious, so it's a waste of time.</p>

<p>I have two Ls with red rings, and two non-Ls with very nice-looking braided gold rings on their front ends. I think I'll leave them that way; the gold ring looks classy. Wouldn't want someone thinking these two were from a red-ring district :-)</p>

The seller wrote "Eines der schärften Objektive die Canon je gebaut hat!", i.e. "one of the sharpest lenses Canon ever has built". That's hardly the truth if you compare it to the 50mm f/1.4, the 50mm f/2.5, the 85mm f/1.8, the 135mm f/2.0 or the 200mm f/1.8, unless what people write about those lenses is just hype. So I think Stephen Lich is wrong about that seller being "very honest".

The 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 might be a good candidate for such a repaint. It has a metal mount and a focus distance window, but it's still very cheap. I don't think my 50mm f/1.8 II or 28-90mm "cheapie" would look that convincing with a red ring and an "L".

Well, <b><a href="http://www.photodo.com/product_46_p4.html" target="_NEW">Photodo</a></b> gave the 50mm f/1.8 II a MTF score of 4.2, which <i>is</i> a pretty good result, especially for such an inexpensive lens.

<p>

But as always, people rate appearances high, and rich idiots want to impress other rich idiots. I'd rather get meself the f/1.4 for this kind of money...