horizontal vs vertial framing results in very different exposures. why?

alain_martinez

Hello,

For a while now I've noticed that when I'm shooting a wedding every time I shoot

horizontal/landscape the exposure is great, but if I shoot the same exact

picture but turn it vertically the picture ends up under-exposed by at least 1

full stop. I shoot with a 5D and a 580 flash with one of those Fong's

lightspheres attached on the flash. I thought I was not tightening the flash

enough to the hot shoe, but last time I squeezed it so hard I almost couldn't

loosen it up after, and still the same thing happen. I experience this with

Time Priority, and the Flash on ETTL

My assistant photographer who shoots with the same equipment as me experiences

the same thing. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

First do a test without the flash, then with the flash without the LS, then with the LS. That should isolate the problem. Most probably, the changing subject/scene changes the exposure because the exposure is based on matrix metering of the scene, for both ambient and flash metering, although I don't think the focus point weights as heavily as Mike says above.

Meters in cameras are more sensitive in some areas of the viewfinder than others. This is the camera thinking for you. When you are taking a horizontal photos you usually have the sky in the top half of the frame and the camera meters accordingly.When you turn the camera on its side this does not work.The 5D like the 1DmkIIn that I use can tell if the camera is being held vert or horiz, so you would think the camera would know the difference.

I always have my camera to use only the center spot for focousing and then recompose the shot. I have the camera's metering mode on (.), and a lot of the time I use Time Priority. The cealing hieight can't be the issue, because remember a lot of times that this has happened to me has been on the same moment/place, just different orientation. I'm wondering if there's wear and tear on the flash since it needs to be rotated with the Light Sphere when shooting vertical.

I'll try to isolate the issue like you suggested by adding a component at a time.

Thank you

alain - it isn't clear if you mean this happens when you are shooting in all conditions or if only flash.

I would encourage you to shoot in manual mode so you have total control over what is going on. otherwise, going from horizontal to vertical with a bright light source nearby can throw off your meter if it is in one frame but not the other.

If you're not using one of those Stroboframes with the camera flip, perhaps its the orientation of position of your speedlight. I've noticed this before I got one of those Stroboframes that keep your speedlight on the vertical position....not counting those nasty shadows.

You're supposed to turn the flash 90 degrees (while keeping it straight up). In other words, have the Canon logo pointing to your right while shooting landscape. Then , when you want to shoot in portrait mode, tilt the camera, and tilt the flash head so it still points at the ceiling. The LS doesn't send light out equally in all directions. Watch the DVD that came with it.

Just avoid this problem by buying an adjustable flash bracket that'll rotate to keep the camera over top of the camera when taking shots vertically.

This is one of the reasons I love Mamiya RBs so much: you can rotate the film back to reorient it to take vertical pictures instead of having to take the time and trouble of reorienting the whole camera.