Leica R4s Shutter Problem

jamie_conlan

Hi,

I just got a Leica R4s and the shutter is not firing. More specifically, the

film advance lever will not crank, thereby the shutter wont cock and I cant fire

the shutter. I got it out of the box this morning and pressed the shutter once

and it fired, but then I was not able to move the film advance lever again after

that. It does not currently have batteries in it, nor do I have a lens to attach

to it.

Is there something that I can do to try to get it to work, or must I send it in

to Leica to be serviced? If I must service it, is the Leica center in NJ the

best bet, or is there a better solution in NYC?

Thanks,

Jamie

In the answers to your post of a week ago it was suggested that you check the archives on the Leica R cameras and that a Leica R4 may not be the best way to go. Now you know why that suggestion was made.

A check of the archives on Leica repair sources will provide the names of several reliable places to get your R4s repaired. Good luck.

Don at DAG camera said he would fix it for $100, so I am going to go for that. I went with the R4s, specifically because it had such a good review, in that it was less dependent on electronics than the other models and that those of a serial higher than 1.6 million were extremely reliable. So, I didn't think that I was making a mistake by going with this model. Also, I got the camera body for only $140.00 and it was stated that it was working perfectly. I guess I should have assumed that the seller was lying to me?

thanks for all the feedback...