Ulrich Tillmann and Wolfgang Vollmer

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these photographers. I read a

short description of their work in the book "20th Century Photography" that

stated that in 1984 these men, "created the cycle Masterpieces of Photographic

Art, which proved that some of the most famous pictures in the history of

photography, such as Irving Penn's portraits of Pablo Picasso, can be attributed

to unknown, only recently discovered predecessors."

I just wanted to know if anyone has any additional info, i.e., did someone

really do this (and other famous photographs) before Penn (and others) did them?

P.S.- I also posted this on APUG.org

If that is all the literature said, then it's unsubstantiated, just a bit that the author put in,

possibly at the behest or under the influence os Tilllman or Volmer. If the writer won't

substantiate it, then you have to become the scholar and dive into the German literature to

figure it all out. It's all about "Art". Vollmer being a real case of a person who wants it all - to

be a critic, curator and artist. Good luck in that one.

No, its not an editorial. The book is really a catalogue of photographers of the 20th century. It devotes a few pages to each photographer, there are a few paragraphs and a few pictures for each photographer, that is why it is so short. I dont doubt the neutrality or the scholarship of the author.I just wanted to know more information about these two photographers/curators and their work. Thanks for your input.

Noah, what I was trying to say is There is no answer to your question unless you find it in

something Vollmer has written. You see, the relationship of photographs to one another

esthetically, in time, among different photographers is something the curator, critic or

historian discovers and sometimes it's just the author's unsubstianted impression.

I do not trust any snippet such as the one you posted unless it points to a greater

explanation because it is up to the author, not us, to explain it.

Look to the German literature. Don't take the book seriously yet.

Noah,

if you type the name Ullrich Tillmann into google you obtain 216,000 hits.

If you look through the frist dozen, you might get an idea of his work (born 1951) etc etc. Same for the second name.

So, please do your homework if you want to find out what it is all about with U. Tillmann.

No sweat, no gain, Noah! 216,000 hits! Good luck reading a few then.

Thanks for your responses. My main question was, when was about the date of a few images that were published in a book by Tillmann and Vollmer. The paragraph in "20th Century Photography" regarding Tillmann indicates that they were created before their famous counterparts, while the captions under the photographs gives 1984 as their date. Frank, I did check google first and while there are over 200,000 hits, the first 40 or so are, a) in German (which I did translate using google) and b) not helpful at all (I'm a good student, I swear).