sekonic L-208 twinmate vs Gossen digisix for hasselblad

paul_leung3

hi, im a newbie in medium format photography.

and i just bought a 500c/m from the bay.

im not really a "sunny f/16" fan so i plan to buy a simple and affordable

light meter for some street photography with my hasselblad.

which one do u experts think is better?

sekonic L208 twinmate or gossen digisix?? or any other recommedations?

i want a small light meter that can fit in my pocket and with incident and spot

(reflection) functions.

thanks in advance!!

I own the Digisix. But I don't like it. Battery drain really is a problem. My biggest concern is its digital design. ISO? Press one button long, then press another button several times short for increasing ISO. Pressed wrong button and it displays temperature? Grrr! For a new measurement press a button and it will answer with a digital EV number. Now turn the disc to the according number and read the aperture/shutter combinations. The L-208 should be far easier to handle. ISO? Short adjustment of a disc. Measurement? Press the button and adjust the match needle via disc. Purely intuitive. Get the Sekonic.

I have to reluctantly agree with Bob and Patrick. Plus, the Gossen reads out in 1/3 f-stops...the f-stop number plus one or two dots to indicate 1/3 and 2/3 f-stop. I always ponder with a lens like the Hasselblad's, with its 1/2 f-stop detents, which way to go...over or under, especially with transparency film. Do others have the same problem, or am I alone in this? I think I'd opt for the L208. With its style of readout, you can see more clearly just how over or under the 1/2 stop mark you really are.

Not saying anything about the suggested choice (my apologies Paul), but the 1/3-to-1/2-stop conundrum isn't the problem it may seem.<br>The 1/3 stop readings get rounded up to the nearest 1/2 or whole stop, producing an underexposure of 1/6 stop. So you're never 'off' more than 1/6 stop. Not nearly enough to worry about.

Problem with Digisix is that the meter is always on. Thus it eats batteries even when not in use. I suppose it uses more when used often. I need to change about once in a few months. The button is a bit prominent as well and easily presses down in a snug bag. Maybe this adds to its appetite for batteries. If you may need a flash meter, the Digiflash may be a better choice. Same size and features as the Digisix but with a simple flash meter as well. There is no spot option. It does incident and normal wide area reflective.

The L208 is great. I have one, I love it. And the battery lasts ages.

That said, it's crap in low light. Also, mine has developed a fault whereby the green needle somehow pushes the red one around. (I mean, as I get the green one to line up with the red one, the red one moves out of its way.) One of these months I must get Sekonic to look at it. In the meantime, it works fine (I used it just this morning).

If it's not a huge stretch for you financially, look into the little Sekonic 308B(II) meters. These do it all, including flash, in a deck-of-cards sized package for not much $.There always seem to be several on offer used on the big auction site. Love mine. It always talks me out of buying a bigger, over-featured Sekonic to replace it. It's no accident that it's one of Sekonic's longest running(and I assume one of their best selling) models.