Victoria, BC - Mornings in March?

eos 10 fan

I will be driving to downtown Victoria with my family around the March 10/11

weekend. Due to family commitments it looks like the only time I will have for

shooting is in the mornings. I prefer natural landscapes (not Butchart Gardens).

Any location tips within about a one hour drive of downtown?

Thanks

I would say your best bet for landscape images is Goldstream Park. But right near downtown, there is Beacon Hill Park in which you can get some landscape type shots. Dallas Road gives you a nice view across the Georgia Strait which borders Beacon Hill Park. East Sooke Park has a lot to offer as well, just depends on how much time you have once you arrive at your destination.

Also, just so you know, March can still be pretty dreary weather. So if you're expecting a lot of sunshine, you might be a little disappointed. I think fog can be beautiful though. Head up the Saanich Peninsula as well, there is Beaver Lake and all the beaches to explore as well. Just don't go in the water. (www.poopvictoria.com)

If it's clear you can get some interesting views looking towards Mt. Baker to the east, or south for the Olympic mountains. Take a look in my gallery (especially the Nikon area) for some examples. The Mt. Baker shots are from the Sidney area 20Km north of Victoria. Depending which ferry taken, you may drive through Sidney on the way to Victoria. There's a marine drive in Victoria which may be worth while if the lights good. It has ample places to pull off with a car. The paved footpath around Victoria harbour might also be of interest. On the north side of the harbour, close to the footpath is Spinakers, a craft brewery just in case you're partial to REAL ale and good food? On the south side you'll find government buildings,hotels and marinas. Ogdon point has a breakwater that you can walk out on for views around the harbour entrance and back towards shore. There's a good place for food & coffee near the shore end that has reasonable prices.

Goldstream park has trails, water, big mossy trees and sometimes quite a few eagles. Driving north a bit more there's several lookout points from the top of the Malahat that give sweeping vistas to the east. Have fun!

May you find good light in your travels.

Hi again Dan, Some numbers that might be helpful. March 10th is just normal range tides. Sometimes I try to catch an extreme low or high tide for pictorial effect but none occur when you'll be here. Not much change for the 11th.

March 10/07 Victoria BC...

Sunrise... 6:35 AM , Tide 8.3ft & falling,...

Low tide... 1:30 PM, 3.4ft,...

Sunset... 6:12 PM , Tide 5.5ft & rising

• 1 year later...