canon lens for reception shooting

I am looking for a canon lens for a 20D that I can use at reception for low

lighting situations. Want it to be versatile for large group pictures and also

for getting close ups in a crowd of dancing people. I don't want to fight with

my lens searching for a focusing point any longer because of the low light.

Thanks,Rosina

If you want to be versitale you will have to pay for fast zooms. Or switch between two primes... what a pain. Or get two bodies.

If you are going super budget, the 50 1.8 is only $70 (from b&h, not super-photo-deals-usa.com haha). Its not very wide for indoor stuff tho :-/

I find it hard to suggest equipment, without knowning what you're already using.

You write "don't want to fight with my lens searching for a focusing point any longer because of the low light" ... which lens is this?

Had you been using the flash to assist AF? Do you have an external flash? And would you consider using it for the reception shots?

A lot of fine glas has been suggested so far. Just for the case budget will not allow to buy them all a more budget friendly suggestion:

EF 28/1.8 USM or EF 35/2

EF 85/1.8 USM

Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Tamron 28-75/2.8 (whichever range suits you better).

oh, and in the case you're lacking a flash so far ... a Canon Speedlight 430 ex.

Rainer

Here's THE answer to your question. You need sharpness, the ability to shoot wide angles for group shots, a lens that focuses quickly, a lens that is free of distortion or vignetting. AND, you want to make a smart investment, w/o spending a fortune. Buy the Canon 17-40 f4L. PERIOD!

Even with a fast lens, incident light won't suffice to properly capture those faces on a dark dance floor. You've GOT to use some flash. Bounce the flash to the ceiling and everything will come out in focus and properly exposed. All this talk of better body and faster lens is hogwash. Not to be cocky, but I'm not conjecturing here, I'm speaking from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the 20D, 17-40L, 550ex combo. The 20D focuses plenty fast with that lens and the I/R beam emitter on 550/420/580.

Thank you guys! I am currently using the 28135 3.5/5.6 IS for my general shooting family portraits. It's the one I grab to be sure I can be flexible... however this is the lens I'm having trouble with in low light. Yes I have the 580 EX flash to help it along, but still find it searching for a focusing point.

Purchase #2 was the EF 50mm 1.4, just love this for a great portrait in studio lens, or standard portraiture outdoor, however find it difficult to work with, enjoy a zoom lens better.

I have realized that budget is no longer an issue, because the next lens or 2 will pay itself off if I find the correct outfit.

I have it narrowed down to the 24-70 2.8/L USM and possible add to it the 70-200 2.8 with stablilization. The 17-55 2.8IS sounds like it might do the job too. I appreciate all your input, my head was spinning, but now I am more focused!

Thanks all!

One more thing, in the event that you want to improve your focusing speed w/o having to use flash the 550/580 or ST-E2 will allow you to keep the flash from firing while still using the I/R beam emitter for focus assist. Then you'll be able to focus in pitch black. Bottom line, an EX-series flash or ST-E2 is a MUST purchase if you don't already own one.

I don't find a 24mm zoom to be adequately wide for "large group pictures and also for getting close ups in a crowd of dancing people" with a 20D. I would think the 17-55 to be a better choice on a crop frame body. On the other hand the 24-70 will also work with a full frame camera if that's where you're headed in the future.

Also, there are plenty of people posting AF consistency issues with the Sigma 18-50, and to some extent the Tamron 17-50. I wouldn't buy one if you're not tolerant of AF hunting. I know I'm tired of mine.