Nikon D2Hs Error Message

mlenzi

A friend of mine has a D2Hs that I sold him. It has about 20,000 shutter

actuations on it and is in good shape. He is now getting infrequent error messages.

This is what he said about it:

"I upgraded the firmware immediately after I received the camera.

I tried with and without the SB-800 but the err message appeared both way. Also tried A S and M mode.

The err message did not have a number.

It first happened with my 17-55mm f2.8. Then I switched to the 85mm f1.4 but no improvement.

I can't think of any other factors."

Has anyone else had this issue? When I had the camera I never had this type of problem. Any help would

be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

The one I'm using, that I am convinced was once used as a hammer, gives me an 'err' message the first exposure of the day and it does so every time. I don't know why and it still records the exposure. Pressing the shutter button again will clear the error and I can keep shooting. That is the only error message I get with this camera unless it is something like the f/stop ring being set incorrectly.

Rick H.

Hi,

I had this problem, 1 yr and a half, ago... My D2H did this every time on the first shot after a 2 hour of sleeping... My body had 65k shots... Nikon Canada replaced the shutter system and everything run fine since this repair and the new shutter has 30k shots done...

And YES, this problem is known at Nikon...

• 10 months later...

The only problem I've experienced with my D2H (one of the last in the run) was a sudden onset of not behaving with AF Nikkors. Worked fine with AF-S and manual focus lenses. Nikon fixed it free, even tho' it was a week or so out of warranty.

In general, my experience in dealing with all companies, is that you must be polite above all. Start out with the assumption that they will fix the problem. Be persistent but not rude.

From what I've seen the least successful strategy for getting problems fixed beyond a given warranty period is to make outrageous claims ("Everybody KNOWS this product/service is a piece of crap!!! I read it on the internet!!!"), use poor communication skills ("I NO UR PRODUK/SURVIS IZ A P33Z OF KRAPPP!!!), or make threats before even attempting to resolve the problem informally ("IM GONNA T3LL EVRBDY ON 3BAY U SUX!!!).

Keep in mind that most customer service employees and repair techs want to take pride in their work and the company they work for. They tend to take personal offense at attacks against their employer. And nobody is impressed with unsupported claims that anecdotal "evidence" from the web rumor mill proves a problem exists.

*If* there are a significant number of complaints about a specific problem, find them on the web, quote them and reference the specific URL where it can be found. But remember: One person making a complaint that is quoted a thousand times does not equal 1,000 complaints. Be sure you're citing specific, individual complaints, not simply referring to recycled claims generated by one or two people. (Example: I'm also a shortwave radio enthusiast and have seen one person try to trash the reputation of a small manufacturer of custom radio equipment by posting the same complaint to dozens of web forums. Then I'll read another person who hasn't done his homework claim that he's read dozens of complaints.)

Anyway, my experience with Nikon USA has been positive. Some folks haven't been so successful, despite playing nice and following the rules for being persuasive.

• 1 year later...

<p >

<p >Hi all,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I didn’t know that there were so many posts about the Nikon D2Hs Err on the Web. I used to own a Nikon D2Hs about two months ago with close to 50K actuations. I also had problems with the Err message. Every time I took my first shoot and only my first shoot either the Err showed up or I had a black picture. I decided to spend about $300 to get it fixed at Nikon Repair in New York. After five consecutive repairs within two monts I decided to give it one more try and complain why they can’t fix my camera. Throughout the whole repairs process I was absolutely patient, never angry with the service department and I always had a typed letter explaining the problem every time I shipped the camera back. I never knew that I can get a replacement till I spoke with the service department that helped me out the first time. He recognized me and said that I should be eligible for a replacement with all of the history of repairs that he noticed. After just a week and half I received my D3 replacement with a 90 days warranty. I already own a D3 and it’s a great camera but I’m really going to miss the D2Hs because it turns my 300mm f/2.8 to 450mm which is great for soccer and football. Anyone that owns a D2Hs and encountering the same problems please be patient if the problems are persistent with the repairs and hopefully you'll get a replacement. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Interesting, Bashar. My D2H has only fairly recently developed a similar problem. After the camera has been turned off for awhile, even just a few hours, it seems to freeze partially after the first shutter actuation. It usually takes the photo properly, but requires a second press of the shutter release to eliminate the "Err" message and take followup shots. Yours is the first report I've read of the same problem.</p>