First Wedding...

kyle shortes

I have my first wedding coming up in a less then 2 weeks. All I am equipped with

is a Nikon d80, Tamron 70-300Di, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, SB600 Speedlight.....and of

course my tripod...

I'm more os concerned about not being able to shoot quite wide enough for group

photos. I could always just stand further back with the 50, but it seems as

though the images wouldnt be wuite as sharp.

ANY ANY ANY help, tips or pointed will be appreciated!

You must have at least a medium wide angle lens. 50mm on the Nikon means you have to be 20ft back to cover 10ft wide - doesn't work. I have no personal experience with this particular lens but a Tamron 18-50 2.8 or something similar would do the trick.

Read the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a?topic_id=2021&category=First

+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog%2e">"First Timer and Newcomers to

Wedding Photography" posts.</a>

<p>

Get a backup camera, backup flash, wider lens, and lots of memory cards and some

batteries.<p>

Learn how to work with people and pose people.<p>

Learn how to bounce your flash, mix flash with ambient, and use fill flash.<p>

Study a lot of other wedding photos that you like.

Well, a back up camera isn't necessarily mandatory, but what are you going to do if the bride is walking down the aisle and your camera jams???

What are you going to do if your flash crashes to the floor during a dance?

How did you get hired for this wedding? Do they know about your inexperience and lack of sufficient equipment?

In other words are they aware of the gamble they are taking with their wedding pictures by having you shoot their wedding?

Some things that should have been thought about before accepting a job.

Kyle, you better listen to these folks - they have done it hundreds of times! It sounds like you are in no way equiped to shoot that wedding with your existing equipment. Try to borrow a wide angle lens and everything else you need as a backup. Brides will never forgive even their best friend if the wedding pictures don't come out the way they expect - remember, many brides have been planning their big day for years - even when they were little girls!

There are people on this forum that are experienced, skilled,

and know what they are talking about. Although you may have some decent photography

experience, you have not shot a wedding. Wedding photography is different from

other types of shooting. You are trusted to capture someone's once-in-a-lifetime event...

memories that they and their children will hopefully cherish for many generations. <p>

Having the best lenses and cameras is certainly not necessary. BUT having backup gear in

case something fails, and having the right gear to get the job done is absolutely a

requirement. I would never attempt to shoot a wedding with only the gear you have. You

may get some good photos, but overall you will miss many of the great moments or they

won't be captured very well. If you go in with your equipment and current attitude, make

sure you are very clear to your bride & groom what they should expect and NOT expect to

get in their photos.<p>

I'm guessing you're not getting paid, or paid very little. You still need to take it seriously,

because it's probably a very serious day for them, right?

I am taking it very seriously, and no I'm not getting paid, there are two photographers, me being the amature of the two(obviously). This is all for expirience. The only possible thing I can understand is a back-up camera body incase mine bites the dust, but mine isnt even a month old so I'm not terribly concerned about that. And I should have said earlier that I am borrowing a friends 18-70. I'm doing more of the ceremony and he is doing the portraits and formals.

Hang in there! Good luck and don't get discouraged - more equipment doesn't equal more serious. I would however do whatever you can to pick up a second camera perhaps borrow.....and you can never have too many memory sticks. I don't know anything about the Tamron you listed, but the Nikkor 50mm is best used for portraits. Let us know how it goes. Pam

I think your question has been answered-- maybe that's not what you wanted to hear, but the advice to get ahold of extra equipment is good advice.

If you can rent the extra stuff or borrow from someone that might make it easier. You probably will want to get a wide-angle... maybe even an inexpensive one to just do the job.

The backup camera and flash is wise and among professionals in the wedding industry, it's STANDARD.

Remember, you can have all the expectations that you put upon yourself, but if they don't meet your client's expectations, you're a failure. It's all about making your client absolutely LOVE your work and your ability to pull off a pretty difficult task.

Best wishes.

See if you can at least rent a back up camera. Brand new cameras still jam, come up w/ weird error codes, and get dropped (ahhh!). I understand the limited funds but my local shop rents a 30D for like 20 bucks a day...totally worth it if for no other reason than peace of mind.

PS - I would rent it allowing enough time to experiment with it!

Unless you are going to shoot just B&G portraits you will need a wider lens otherwise you would lose to many shots even if this is a freebie to help out some friends with no money. You should really have some spare equipment just in case something breaks even if it is a freebie. The other option if you are a hobbyist shooting a freebie for family or friends is to simply explain that you have the equipment that you have and while you will try your best you don't have the backup and level of equipment that a proffesional would have and if your equipment should fail they would be without pictures. If they agree for you to still shoot then fine at least they have been informed.

(...attempting to submit this post a 2nd time...)

This is funny because I posted something similar about a month ago, and I received a lot of responses similar to yours .. But, in my case, I didn't have good lenses and not even a flash. So based on their feedback and based on a suggestion from one of my friends who shoots weddings, I got the 50mm and a 430ex. I mainly shot with the 50mm, and yes, it was difficult getting those group photos, and yes, I did have to stand back to get them all in - even standing on chairs or tables. (I'm 5 feet short). But my pictures still came out fine (I am not a pro, so my pics are nowhere near as great as the pros on this site!!). I definitely needed an extra battery and card. If anything, at least buy or borrow that. As for the backup camera? My camera is almost 2 years old, and I did _not_ bring a backup, so yeah, I would've been screwed had it crapped out on me. Just let the B+G be aware of what equipment limitations you have. I let my friend (the bride, and yes, we're still friends!) know in advance that I am in no way a pro. I still got paid for it - very little - but she did say she would've paid me more if she could've. The B+G and guests were very happy with the results. Lots of compliments. And, because of the way the pics turned out, I now have a 2nd wedding lined up (and for a lot more money)! Wow! Just like any job, I accepted that 1st wedding with an attitude of wanting to make the B+G happy doing the best job that I could with what I had. Just be professional, don't set high expectations for the B+G (if they wanted a pro, they would've paid for it, right?), relax, and do what you love.

Thanks Jennifer, The bride and groom both know that I'm not a pro and arent exspecting Time magazine photos, they just want it for the memories not for the eye candy.The bride is one fo my best friends and she doesnt mind how they come out, we've had that talk. Just so long as she has some photos and its not costing her $1500 or more! They know I'll do the best of my ability. Were ok. Thanks much for your response.

I did my first wedding without a backup camera or flash. Tricky but it is behind me now! For the second wedding (for which I got paid), I did borrow a close friend's Nikon D50. He had been planning on getting a SLR earlier and I had convinced him to buy a Nikon...without realizing that I would eventually find a use for that camera. Nice, huh! In retrospect, I have given him a few tips on photography technique...

But...I did get into my first wedding with quite a bit of shooting experience. I had been shooting for a few years, mostly at cocktail parties, apple picking events, baby showers and such. Yeah, I was that annoying guy with the camera but my friends had no idea how much I would eventually learn from those photos.

Kyle, I just have a few pointers. The same short set of pointers I give to anyone who is shooting a wedding for the first time AND is a beginner in photography.

1. When in doubt, use Program. Pros don't use Program often, if at all, but it actually does save you from making really bad mistakes more often than not--mistakes such as the following.

2. DO NOT use aperture priority for indoor shots, especially the processional. It will set too slow a shutter speed and you will have motion blur. If you use any automated mode, use Program.

3. Practice with flash exposure. It is very, very important. Learn how to and when to compensate your flash for best results.

4. Don't use a flash modifier that you haven't practiced with for a while before the wedding. Well exposed direct flash shots are better than grossly underexposed shots.

5. Be sure you have enough memory cards and flash and camera batteries.

6. Practice focusing accurately. This is one thing you can't fix too well later. Use One Shot (or whatever Nikon calls single shot focusing). Things happen fast at weddings--you must be sure about your focusing.

7. Re your group shots. If you can borrow the zoom, that's great, use it. But if forced to use the 50mm, you will have no trouble with full lengths of the couple, and maybe up to about four people. But more than that, you will need room to back up and your flash may not have enough power to adequately light everyone at the distances you may need--it depends. Alternatively, don't do full lengths, and break people up into smaller groups.

8. Even if it is a point and shoot, bring it as back up.

Did anyone take a look at Kyle's portfolio? I'm pretty impressed with it, and it appears that he has a pretty idea of what he's doing, in terms of photographic knowledge and skills. Shooting a wedding is a little different, but at least he's not coming here NO experience, wanting to shoot weddings.

Best wishes, Kyle!

Jen

Yes, I agree--Kyle, you have a good eye and a good feel for natural light. Don't know about flash usage... Jen, as you say, skill in other areas of photography doesn't always transfer to shooting weddings, both technically and otherwise. I was surprised at the number of skilled amateurs or even pros proficient in other fields of photography who still want to use aperture priority for processionals, don't understand dragging the shutter...and who can't focus accurately under pressure. I have trained a few people to shoot weddings in the past.

Kyle, I looked at your portfolio, and if you do your friends wedding with the same passion that I see in your pictures you will be fine. We all have to step up to the plate at some point and I am thinking you will be great at it. Much luck to you and your new endeavor. When I personnaly decide to slow down on weddings and need young blood with the passion you obviosly have we will be looking for you!

First as the moderator:<em>I have deleted about 5 or 6 comments and edited a few other comments. Please read the forum guidelines to the right of the forum threads. I also deleted Kyle's response which was a fairly harsh reaction. We believe in being civil - everyone - in this forum.<p>Second - Pros must understand that occassionally there are couples that would not hire a pro and absolutely can't afford a photographer. Yes - it is risky but it is our goal here to: <p>1) Suggest that the person read, take classes and even better - assist a pro. <p>2) Suggesting equipment upgrades and suggesting a backup is responsible and important. All this can be done in a civil tone. <p>3) The newbie should also be respectful when pro's make strong suggestions because they know what they are talking about <p>4) Do realize that sometimes the newbie may not be able to get more lenses etc and let us help him/her out as best as we can with the limitations they have.</em><p>Kyle - It is important to realize where we are coming from. We don't mean to be nay-sayers.. What we should do is ask questions... 1) Are you getting paid, 2) Any chance the couple could hire a pro and you do candids and a portrait as a gift because this is risky for the couple and you "could" do great or you "could" screw up. 3)Any chance you can assist first. 4)Can you afford to get or borrow an additional lens/flash/camera etc..

<p>After we know the answers (which we now do) - THEN we can help you better. <p>As to some of these issues.. Kyle - all of us have heard stories from people for many years. People find out you are a wedding photographer or you are at a wedding and people tell you about the horror story of their wedding. 90% of the horror stories are from people who had a friend shoot the wedding and they hated the photos or were very dissapointed. My own lab - the owner - Tells the story all the time of his friend who was a photo student at college that shot his wedding and there is not one good photo in the bunch. THAT is why we may over-react a bit. We know it can and does happen.<p>Now as to a backup camera... Listen - I did a wedding once and tripped over a piece of wood and smashed my lens.. It was jammed into the camera and part of it was bent as well. Thank god I had a backup camera. In fact, I have three cameras, backup cord for my flash, backup flash etc.. I have gotten shorts in my cord and I've had flashes die on me in my 16 years. That is why people are very firm about the fact that you would be wise to have a backup. <p>However, if the couple is fully aware that anything could happen.. and are cool.. Yay. <p>Again, as pros - we do have to realize that there are a percentage of couples that are better having someone like Kyle shoot the wedding than a $400 photographer that probably wouldn't care as much as Kyle will. <p>Good Luck Kyle and do read the Newcomers section of the Wedding forum.

Definitely need a wider lens. I just bought the 50mm/F1.8 and although it is a good lens, it is not wide enough. Get a 18-70mm to have wide coverage. If you can afford the f2.8, go for it. A back up camera is a must to swap between wide and tight shots. Have plenty of memory cards on hand and dont forget diffuser for your flash. Good luck.