18-135mm nikon

carl_williams1

I have both the 18-70 (came on my D70) and the 18-135 (came on the D80 I received for Christmas). I've used the 18-70 for about 2.5 years now, and the 18-135 has had only one real outing, last weekend on the Arizona side of Lake Mead. I'm not impressed with the 18-135. Despite the additional megapixels, the images aren't as sharp as the D70 with the 18-70. I shoot everything on a tripod (arthritis prevents handholding anything anymore), so the difference is definately in the lens.

Well before Christmas, I had a look at a D80 in a local Circuit City and was astonished at the awful barrel/pincushion distortion that 18-135 had. It was easy to see viewing the store's front windows, an array of rectangular frames. The one that came on my D80 does not have this distortion, which tells me there are rather large variations in quality allowed to get thru the inspection process at the factory.

I strongly recommend the 18-70 over the 18-135.

I use this lens on a D80. It did get very good reviews for its sharpness, but I have to say that the vignetting on it sucks (as the reviews say). Chromatic aberration and distortion as well. I have only just got it, so I have not tested thoroughly how bad these affects are. All are bad on certain photos but it depends on aperture and focal length. I find the CrAb particularly annoying.

I would have preferred the 18-200 VR but it's just impossible to get hold of right now and I wanted to camera ASAP.

Mark