analog lineup

oscar_sandberg

hi!

just looking for some input on the following issue.

im using a F3HP with the following lenses: 20mm f3,5 28mm f2,8 AIS, 50mm f1,8

AI, and the 85mm f.2 AIS.

as a backup ive got another F3HP body.

the issue lies in the backup. im starting to think its a bit overkill having 2

F3HP, they are supposedly indestructable.

and Im looking to get some more variaty in my tools.

I decided early that I wanted something extremely lightweight and compact and

with AF. Im leaning towards the Ricoh GR1s(I have found one just recently in

mint condition for 280$)

so, should i sell my second F3HP and get the Ricoh instead?

anyone who tried the Ricoh GR1s?

if I stretched it I could afford the ricoh without selling the backup F3HP but I

dont like leaving gear lying around unused. Im not a "just in case" kind of a

person.

all comments are welcome except the ones telling me to get a digital camera.

different discussion all together.

best regards/Oscar

I'm a two camera shooter. Given your setup, I'd be running around with both F3 bodies; a 28 on one and the 85 on the other. It's just the way I think. Part of it is 'backup', but part of it is keeping options open for focal lengths, film speeds, or even 'full vs. empty' camera.

An AF compact camera is fine, but for me it would not replace my 'need' for a second camera. When I'm in 'two camera' mode, I need them to be identical or nearly so.

<I>im starting to think its a bit overkill having 2 F3HP, they are supposedly indestructable. </I>

<P>

I wouldn't feel that way at all. Even a fairly new F6 or D2X is by no means indestructable. You may accidentally drop it on concrete and any camera can be damaged. Given how old an average F3 is, if you are shooting something important, I would actually add another backup, which can be something else like an FM3a or F100. Also keep in mind that a Ricoh cannot use your Nikkor lenses.

Add the GR1. keep the backup. You never know when you might need to get one body serviced, and you can run multiple film types with two bodies.

Personally, I have 4 (F3HP, FA, EM, F801) and normally carry two at a time.

I have the F4s and 3 F100s so that I have a backup for sure. Two of the F100s have the grip and one does not. For backup to this setup I have a Minolta XD-5 and XD-11. Then the 3 RFs that are always ready in a pinch. Keep the F3s and get the Ricoh for a pocketable/more easily carried camera.

Depends what you mean by "backup". For me, backup means another identical body. I

don't see variety as a good thing necessarily. If you're working with an F3, the smoothest

transition in a pinch is to another F3. Keeps you focused on the work, not on the camera.

Actually, I'd suggest working with two bodies, maybe even having a 3rd in the bag for

backup. I'd only consider an admittedly smaller and lighter P&S as backup when the

pictures were not particular important.

The best camera is the one that you use so if those F3 bodies sit at home because you feel that they are too big for some situations then maybe you should get the compact for those situations. To keep or sell one F3 body is down to you but if you really don't need it or use it then why not. Of course you know that if you sell it will probably regret it or end up needing it.