6x9 or wider

matt_m__toronto_

Matt,

This may be heavier and bigger than you want, but I shot for a while with a 4x5 crown graphic fitted with a horseman 6x9 back. I used a 90mm lens and it worked great. The great thing was that I could switch to 6x12 when I wanted with another horseman back. You could also look for a 6x9 press camera, I think Linhof still makes one. Just a thought.

Matt,

Obviously, you will have much more choices if you go with the 6x7 format, even though I find 6x9 to be better suited for landscape/cityscape photography. For panoramas, you will get great results by cropping a 3:1 panoramic photograph from a 6x9 negative.

- In 6x9:

The old Fuji G690 is a very well made camera with interchangeable lenses ranging from 50mm superwide (21mm equiv. @ 35mm) to 180mm tele (77mm equiv.). It's a rangefinder camera styled like a big Leica, meaning that you can use it to shoot handheld like a (huge) Leica. The main drawback is that lenses are quite rare, except for the 100mm standard and the 8/65mm wide angle (28mm equiv.). With a little bit of shopping around, you should be able to find a working body + 65mm lens for around $600. Or go for the fixed lend more recent GSW690 (65mm lens). Check my webpage: http://artbig.com/

More common and less expensive is the Mamiya Press/Super23/Universal, which is also a very good camera offering interchangeable lenses ranging from 50mm to 250mm (107mm equiv.). It's more versatile than the Fuji with its removable back. The Super 23 even has a tilting bellows back. But it is bigger, heavier and more cumbersome to use than the Fuji (e.g. it has no shutter interlock to prevent blank/double exposures). In the same category but more expensive than the Mamiya, there is also the Graflex XL/XLSW: great lenses but delicate focusing mechanism.

If you want something cheaper, go for a 6x9 Speed Graphic with a rollfilm back and a wide angle lens. Or even cheaper, an old 6x9 folder, but forget about the wide angle lens.

- In 6x7:

The Mamiya 7 is a great (expensive) camera with the finest (extremely expensive) lenses you can get. The FOV of its 43mm lens is the same as a 50mm on a 6x9 camera.

The Koni-Omega has great lenses as well and is much cheaper, but it is very heavy and its widest lens is only 58mm.

Nowadays, the best deals are with the 6x7 SLRs: Pentax 67, Mamiya RB, Bronica GS1. Many pro photographers are dumping them by the truckload to jump to the digital bandwagon. Lenses and accessories are plentiful and go for cheap.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Veriwide!

There are a threee versions - the original Plaubel Veriwide which has s true 9cm width and

the Brooks Veriwide (about 86cm wide). They each use a 47mm Super-Angulon, although the

Brooks had a F5.6 version along with the F8. Plaubel is strictly F8.

Got a couple of 'em. Good cameras.

Yeah, the Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100 is a great camera. It takes seven 2.25 x 3.5 inch pictures on a roll of 120 and Leitz (Leica) made a special variation of their 21mm finder for it, engraved Veriwide 100. These cameras were made in the early 1960's. I had one for awhile a few years ago. Takes great pictures!

If you go for a Veriwide, the 47/5.6 Super-Angulon is the lens to look for. It's stunning (and uses lanthanum glass, if you're into that sort of thing). I think these use a Compur 00 shutter, but S.K. Grimes works on these and has parts. You can get a Graflex adapter plate and replace the large, leaky original back with a small modern Horseman back. The result is a very compact wide-angle camera with flash sync but without a self-cocking shutter or any linkage to prevent inadvertent double exposures.

The Fuji GSW 690 with 65mm lens will give you 6x9 with a 28mm wide angle equivalent in 35mm terms. Rugged camera with unbelievably sharp lens. No longer in production but available on Ebay. Much in demand. I have one but not for sale. Latest version is the model 3.