NEED HELP! Landscape Lens for D80

account not active

Chris--

You will undoubtedly get a raft of answers to your post, and most likely no two will say the same thing. As a very general rule landscape photographers prefer a lens with a wider than normal angle of view. For your D80 this means something with a focal length of 24mm or less. If at all possible try to borrow a few lenses in this focal length range and see how they work to capture the veiw you are after.

As for filters, the only one you will need is a circular polarizer, and even this must be used with caution with wide angle lenses. Camera settings; that's too broad a question without knowing more about what you will be shooting and what you require.

Cheers/Mike

Chris, your Mule Ear shot is a pretty good landscape, good light, good subject, looks like a pretty good lens choice. Foreground could be a little lighter (maybe via post-process), but that's rather minor and only my opinion.

Landscapes often have wide angles-of-view, so if you don't already have one, you may want to look into something in the 12-24mm range. One of the best books on landscape photography I ever read was the late Galen Rowell's book "Mountain Light." He goes into great depth in his thinking/visualizing processes and some considerable technical detail. He used slide film, but digital sensors behave a lot like slide film so his comments on exposure control, e.g., are still fairly valid. The book can be had from Amazon.com.

I think you're off to a pretty good start, read up a little on it and keep practicing.

Best of luck,

HWD

No worries. John has written several books and all are excellent. Obviously, the technology has changed, but the value that I find in his work is approach to getting where you want to be, image-wise. That transcends media and hardware, as far as I am concerned. Best of luck.

Erik was close, it's called "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide", published by

Amphoto Books. It has sections on exposure, equipment, composition, etc and I believe it

is as useful for the digital shooter as it is for film shooters. Light is light. And John Shaw

gets extra points because he shoots Nikon.

The book is worth every penny and the price is extremely reasonable at that well known

online bookstore.

As for your question, Nikon 12-24. Or get the Tokina 12-24, and maybe a Gitzo tripod

with the $400 you save.

"A good lens". No I can't. There is no one good lens for landscapes. There are many good lenses.

A few excellent quality lenses are 17-55, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200, etc...

A few things that may do you more justice for the time being is a GOOD tripod, shutter release cable, and shoot at ~f/22.

Your question is way to vague. You need to ask specific questions. Landscape photography is vast. There is no one answer to your question.

Chris, I also have the D80 and I mostly use the Tokina 12-24mm for landscapes. If I use a filter, the only one I may use is the Hoya Pro 1 S-HMC circular polarizer. You must use one of the 'slim' filters or be prepared for a lot of cropping.

The Nikon 12-24mm is also excellent. It costs a bit more. Maybe you have the budget for it. I didn't. My lens plus the filter (which was pretty expensive itself) was less than the Nikon lens.

As for camera settings, that is difficult to address. The settings will be a function of things such as light, balance, f/stop, whether or not you are using a filter, etc. There are so many variables affecting settings that it is best to just experiment. And remember, even most of the worst shots can be 'fixed' somewhat with a good editor like Photoshop or whatever you use.

What lens do you have? When shooting do you find you want to go wider or longer? If wider,

then get a 12-24, if narrower (yes teles are GREAT for landscapes) then something longer!

And read read read...

BUT... do NOT shoot everything at f22 (I shoot NOTHING at f22...), on MANY of these lenses

diffraction sets in and you'll get crappy images. f16 or f14 is nice, though...

I have tested five different lenses (zooms and primes)at a series of stops and on all five f/16 is definitely inferior to f/11. It is an easy test. Simply set your camera on a tripod and focus carefully on a subject with lots of detail, then run through the available stops. You'll readily see where performance starts to deteriorate due to diffraction.

Or you may want to venture into using prime lenses like an 18mm to a 24mm depending on what you're shooting and how wide you want them. I do have a Tokina 12-24mm lens. It's a fantastic lens but I limit its use to interiors only (for convenience). But if I want details and sharpness for landscape/cityscape, I'd go anytime with Nikon prime lenses (i.e. 18mm - 24mm).

For my landscapes, I need three lenses; a wide, a tele, and a normal. All three in one is nice. A kit lens is good enough for lots of landscape work, but if you live in an area with dry, pristine atmosphere, a prime might be better. A reasonable compromise might be a high quality zoom like the expensive 17-55 Nikon. As for f22, you need to know when to use it and when not. It won't produce crispness in small format in my experience. Also, Galen Rowell shot many of his landscapes with telephotos. With my D80, I am using the 55-200 kit lens most of the time for landscapes, so it depends on whether you shoot like you are near-sighted or not and of course what subjects you shoot.

It just depends on what kind of landscapes you want to shoot and how much money you want to spend. I know if you shoot somehwere with lots of mountains you need a 12-24mm. I have the Tokina 12-24 and it is a great lens for under $500 and one I probably use the most when shooting landscapes. I also find a lens in the 28-75mm range is a must have. Nikon's 18-70 would be very good if you didn't want to spend much, otherwise a Tamron 28-75 or Nikon's 28-75 would be a top choice.

• 2 years later...

<p>Yeah, I'm with Jack B. I have a D300 and I'm interested too.<br>

What Nikon primes (manual or AF), not zooms, in the Nikon range are the best. I'm told the 20mm F4 AIs is the best. And as 20mm=30mm, thats the max.<br>

I regard to zooms, I'm told the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is as good as the nikon 12-24, but Tokina QC is a bit of a worry. You can get an outstanding one, or a bad one.<br>

Anyone want to comment?</p>