40mm CL lens on a Leica M camera... have you tried?

Tons of previous posts on this.

The 35mm lines match for infinity, 50 mm up close.

Many file the keying lug down so it brings up the 35mm lines.

leica does not guarantee the focus will work with every lens/camera ,but that maybe is just marketing as there never were reported problems with that issue here that I can remember.

Standard 39mm filters have a .75 pitch thread, the 40 has 39mm x.50 so Leica filters will not work.

It's a great little lens. With the lug filed down it frames nicely with the, ahem, "35mm" frame of an M6,M7,MP,M4-p. I wish it focussed down to 0.7m instead of just 0.8m but apart from that (and the silly filter thread) it's a gem. I've certainly not had any focusing issues with it. I believe Leica just put that rumour out to protect their 35mm 'cron sales.

I remember reading about this way back when the Leica CL was introduced. There was a reason for the potential incompatibility with focusing on an M camera. Don't know if this referred to mostly older M cameras since I have never heard anyone complain about the focusing accuracy in actual use. If you look at a 40 Summicron-C you'll see that the rangefinder actuator is at an angle. So if the rangefinder wheel in the M body is off center it wouldn't be a good match. This wouldn't be the case with an M lens since they are made differently and don't depend on the wheel being centered. Don't remember if this was the case for the Elmar-C as well, but I think it was.

I have the CLE version of the 40 and the 90 and they work great on my M6 TTL. I did some tests and the 40 matches the 35mm framelines on the M6 at infinity. I haven't ground my lensmount yet but am considering it. The 40 is a superb lens and dirt cheap for the quality.

I've used this very successfully on both aM7 and M5. Mine is also filed down for 35

framelines, and I also have a 40mm viewfinder I got from a friend (the Rollei one). The

viewfinder gives a very different f.o.v. than the 35 frameline, but I've never done the

testing to figure out exactly which is closer. I've never had any big disappointments in

framing using either. The lens is very sharp, if perhaps a bit 'creamier' or smoother than

the current summicrons. For a hood, I use the Rollei hood which has a nice little set screw

attachment. Filters are B&W 39's just snugged into place. I've never lost a filter using this

arrangement, and don't get any vignetting. Go for the lens if you can. It is remarkably tiny

and makes for a very compact kit.