black & white proofs

lisa h

Hi, I am looking for a place where I can order nice black & white proof prints for a decent price. It needs

to be somewhere that has an easy online ordering system (ftp service is ideal) and quick turn-around time.

I was going to try Mpix but they do not have the option of adding white borders.

Lately I have been using Adorama for color 4x6's b/c their online ordering is easy and I can pick up the

prints (in NYC) if I want, but I tried ordering b&w's from them recently and they are so dark & muddy

looking, I have to have them reprinted.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Lisa

I use MPIX all the time, and don't mind the fact that they don't come with borders, because then your image is that much smaller. I ordered a set of bordered black/white proofs for a gymnastics shoot and the parents liked the non bordered better from mpix.

I use arts2001photo.com

They do a really good job and offer borders (tell them what you want in your special instructions...they have white, black keyline, sloppy and more. They're local for me so I pick them up but they ship also (they're in California). 4xt6's are .29

Oh yeah, there's a little kink in their ordering system that you'll want to be aware of before you order...especially since they'll be shipped to you. Let me know if you decide to order through them and I'll let you know how to make sure you get the borders (it's a little too complicated to go into if you're not going to use them).

Paul- Though I order some prints without borders, I prefer my wedding & portrait proofs

with borders so need a lab with this option.

Mariah- Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if I decide to give them a try.

I am hoping though for a lab a little closer to the East Coast to cut down on shipping time &

costs, especially for when I have a very small number of prints to order and need them

quickly (like I do now)!

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming please....

Hi Trent, I know that I could do that but I have a huge number of files that are already

prepared and I am used to the convenience of placing the order with borders... so prefer not

have to go though that extra step of adding them myself...