Headshots and Cheap studio background material?

kyle_opitz

Anyone have any advice on cheap back ground material for a homemade portrait

studio? I would like to do portraits and head shots for fashion and casual

dress, I just need some ideas for materials and colors and stuff, including a

black background that stays black when lit. Also can anyone point me to some

books or websites on headshots? Thanks a bunch.

King size bed sheets would be a cheap start. A black backround staying black depends on how much light you have spilling on it. Creat separation between the subject and the background, and the black will stay black. Google, and this site's search function will provide you with a million results on head shots.

Also browse the "Top Rated" Photo section, and select portraits. There are plenty of good headshots to look at.

Mike

For a tight headshot I've used grey neutral paper and also some colored that can be purchased from either Staples or Office Depot or even dare I say it...Wal-Mart. I used duct tape to hold up my background. Worked like a charm and it's super duper cheap too might I add. Plus, yes I've even used black and white bedsheets before like the post above me mentioned. They work great too!

Good luck!

Justin

I have had good success with a very cheap felt material from Walmart. It's unbelievably

cheap, and very wide. I used it as a backdrop for some infant photos and I was worried that

it might be too shiny and reflect too much light. It worked beautifully though, and I did not

have to do any post processing darkening of it at all.

Backgrounds aren't that expensive when compared to the hassle and cost of putting a background kit together. Check this site out as an example of cost and what you get for the price. You buy, they send, UPS drops it at your front door. This is a good thing. :)

http://www.owens-originals.com/

There are inexpensive collapsible backgrounds at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=6462

To me, pro gear feels a lot better when showing a perspective client then home do-it-yourself rigs.

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

End runs at a large haberdashery supplier:

The widths are good; the price is right; the variety is awesome and the cardboard inner rolls fit most backdrop frame spindles.

If you want to get hippy, buy some aerosol spray paint give them a squirt.

Use a large aperture, set the subject at 3 feet from the background and enjoy the bokeh.

Don`t laugh: it works.

WW