I want to get the D40 BUT....

kenneth_yahiku

Let me give some background first...I am just about to break into dslr cameras.

I have experience with SLR so the Digital aspect is new to me. I am not too

familiar with raw, but I know it is a big plus.

Im currently wondering about the extra software you have to pay for with the

Nikons. Is it neccesary? Or if I buy photoshop will it be just as good.

If it is an extra hassel should I just go for the Cannon Rebel xt?

Thanks for your time!

KY

Jeffrey, My Coolpix delivers superb images up to 8x10. In fact for awhile I wondered why I didn't shoot with it all the time, but the shutter lag is a deal killer. In fact it delivers good enough results that I've got a shot with it in my street portfolio (not online).

I had an Coolpix 8700 that I bought when the d70 came out - same reason as mentioned above - the 8700, in my opinion, gave better results than the d70.

What you don't find out until you use the camera for a while is that P&S cameras focus slow (you will miss a lot of important shots unless you are taking landscape pictures) and have a lot of noise in the pictures above ISO 400.

Six month later, I traded up to a d70, and now have the d200.

A $150 P&S can give images as good as a camera that costs many thousands of dollars, but you have to work at it.

RAW is not a big plus, but is good to have. You only need it if the white balance or exposure is off. My d200 is almost always right on the money so I never have to worry about it. Basic adjustments to exposure and white balance can be made with many 'free' programs.

Nikon View is a great FREE program you can download from the Nikon website.

Stick with a DSLR, whichever you choose.

"RAW is not a big plus, but is good to have. You only need it if the white balance or

exposure is off."

Raw is a huge plus. In addition to better white balancing and exposure adjustments, most

RAW files contain more data than in-camera JPGs. Also, noise reduction can be quite

profitably done in RAW along with many other adjustments.

If I could roll back the clock I wish I would have bought a Canon Digital Rebel when they first come out vice my Olympus C-8080. After I bought the vertical grip and batteries it was about the same and I got a screaming good deal at the time on the C-8080 itself. My C-8080 still makes some awesome pic's even at 11x14. But, their are other things to consider like AF ability, write times between shots (C-8080 is a long time, 11 seconds for RAW), etc.

Ultimately, I went with a D50 yesterday as it was on hand at my local Ritz with lens for $550. I also looked at the D40 but I wanted the AF lens flexibility and exposure bracketing. I would start off with PS Elements or whatever NIkon provides to start and as your skill grows looks into something like PhotoShop...

I would strongly advise against becoming techno-paralyzed by buying too much technology at once (I also have an addicition to computers and tech). That's another thing I did with my C-8080. I got a decent printer and screen calibrator to "maximize" my camera's potential. Only to spend a lot of time on the learning curve to get all to work right. And, to find out that the color space (range of colors) that most printers can print is small compared to what a screen can show and is optmiized for sRGB (some for Adobe RGB but are upper end). I do not neccessarilly regret the time I spent except for the fact that I could have stayed safe and sound within the sRGB color space of the JPGs and spent more time taking photo's.

As soon as I become acclimated to my D50 I will probably use the potential of Photoshop as much as I did with my C-8080 when I got used to it: very little.

As for D40/D50/XTi... I would buy a SD card and CF card and handle each camera and take photos with each camera in JPG and look at them at home and decide. See which camera is the most intuitive for you and pleases you the most. My choice of Nikon was for my own reasons and I won't push them on to you.

Buy your DSLR, shoot pics, and have fun.