death valley

robert_c_harvey

I was there in the last week of April last year. It was 105 at Stovepipe Wells- which I don't know whether will please you or not. There were no flowers to speak of, and it wasn't too busy. For me the high harsh sun and hot weather meant little photography from breakfast till about 4-5pm. The backroads were heavily washboarded and if you plan to visit the Racetrack or Eureka Dunes especially you might want to check whether the roads have been -or will be - repaired recently. It would be a pity to go in March to find out that they're starting the roads next week.

The earlier the better, in my view, but we're not talking about my view. By the end of April, as posted by another, it should be hot - not warm, HOT. That also means the water will be gone at Badwater (a personal favorite - the reflections in the still water at sunrise are terrific). And the wildflowers will be toast, almost literally. If you aren't looking for the wildflowers or the water at Badwater, April might be your idea of perfect. The rest of the park will be as it usually is. Good idea to check with the rangers on road conditions - that will have a lot to do with what parts of the park will be inaccessible.

I would tend to agree that March would be better than April: lower light, possible flowers, etc. Any flowers should be considered icing on a delicious cake if they are around. The grandeur of DV is in the geology, the textures and the landscape, particularly the dunes. I've been there many times with no flowers at all and it is still breathtaking. Hotel accommodation will be a challenge if you don't already have something UNLESS you are willing to camp in a campground or to walk two miles and camp (which is permitted off of almost any dirt road.) I highly recommend doing that... consult the NP website for the rules and restrictions. Most of my DV photos were taken from these campsites. As an alternative for lodging check the Panamint Valley (google it) and you might get lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also go in March. I went twice in the last 3 weeks,and there were hardly any

wildflowers (you should have gone in 2005).The best places to stay are in Beatty and

Parumph,NV. You can get a room at the Stagecoach Inn in Beatty for about $53.00 and its

only about a 45 min drive to Furnace Creek.If you stay in Beatty,check out the Ghost Town

of Rhyolite (10 min from Beatty).Theres no lodging in Panamint Valley that I know of but

there is an interesting ghost town there (Ballarat-If you go to Ballarat check out the old

green Dodge pickup...it was left there by the Manson Family) Be prepared for windy days in

the spring.I recommend going to Stovepipe Wells Dunes,Mosaic Cyn,Golden

Cyn,Badwater,Devils Golf Course,Ubehebe Crater,Zabriskie Point,and Dantes View.(they are

all accessible by 2WD cars.) Enjoy!!!