look for the shutter type?

raul_casal

If there isn't a front and back section that unscrew from a central tube, then it's not "in barrel", and wasn't really designed for shutter use. Sounds like it's an enlarging lens by your description. None of the shutters have the coarse 39mm threads of an enlarging lens.

Have a look at SK Grimes' site, they're experts at putting anything in a shutter, and they give all the sizes.

Also, consider a Packard shutter, behind the lens.

Also, if you're using it for close-up work (which is the best use of an enlarging lens on a view camera), a lens cap may be all the shutter you need.

Even if the lens doesn't unscrew into two parts, and therefore might be an enlarging lens, it

might still be fittted into a shutter to be used on a LF camera, although I don't think your lens

would be cost effective. (Many high-end graphic lenses are adapted to shutters.)

Offhand, I don't think 39mm will fit a shutter. 36x.75 would.

Pico wrote: "Even if the lens doesn't unscrew into two parts, and therefore might be an enlarging lens, it might still be fittted into a shutter to be used on a LF camera, although I don't think your lens would be cost effective. (Many high-end graphic lenses are adapted to shutters.)

Offhand, I don't think 39mm will fit a shutter. 36x.75 would."

Pico, I'm shocked at you. Some other manufacturers sold lenses with the same name for enlarging and taking, but not Schneider. The Comparon is the enlarging version of the Xenar. The Componon is the enlarging version of the Symmar. All Xenars are taking lenses. All Symmars are taking lenses. Both were sold in shutter and in barrel. For some reason, idiot eBay sellers sometimes assume that all lenses in barrel are enlarging lenses or process lenses. T'ain't so.

Original poster, look at these two URLs:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/obj_f_balgen.pdf for Xenars in barrel

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/xr_xnt_66.pdf for Xenars in shutter

Short answer, you'll have to get a #1 shutter. Compur, Copal, Prontor, makes no difference. That 39 mm thread on you lens' barrel is actually 39x0.75, not the LTM/many enlarger lenses M39x1.0.