30d & high speed sync flash

tom l

I'm looking to replace my old manual metz 45-cl4 with a flash that supports high

speed sync on my 30D. I've read that the 580ex will do this but I think so will

the metz mecablitz 54 MZ-4. I don't know about the new metz 45-cl4 digital.

I've also recently read about QFlash - sounds like a nice piece of equipment (I

like the sensor limit idea) but don't know if it supports Canon's high speed sync.

Has anyone out there tried one or some of these flashes with their Canon and

care to comment on the pros/cons of each?

Anyone have a preference of the hand-grip mounted metz flashes over the

show-mounted flashes? Do the shoe-mounted ones put out as much light? They seem

to have more features.

Thanks!

check the Metz website, they have compatability function tables for the SCA adapters, search on the canon adapter (it takes a bit of finding!). I think you are OK with EOS E system, but I got caught out when using on Olympus E digital, the basic flash unit supports high speed sync, but the Oly SCA adapter doesn't

"Do the shoe-mounted ones put out as much light?"

I finally bought a canon 580ex & 430ex after using handlemounts (Metz 45 & Sunpacks) for years. The 580 is equal or better in strength. Faster recycle and far more versatile. Problem for us old guys is rethinking all the features. I fianally started using the two together wirelessly and it's great. It is taking me a bit to get away from wanting to grip a non-existant flash handle, but I'll get over it. I always saw handlemount flash as a sign of a real pro, a relic from the old med format days. sighhhh another one bites the dust!

BTW, this link was posted today elsewhere and I'm just starting to read/comprehend some of the ETTL possibilities. Worth a quick read. http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Doug