Hi everybody! I have 3 Canon flashes: 580EX, 550 EX and 420 EX. Plus ST-E2

transmitter. Here are two questions:

1) Does it make sense to use large (5'-3') diffusion panel with 580 EX as the

main light?

2) Does it make sense to make some kind reflector and optional barndoors to

580 (or 550 - doesn't matter) flash? I want to try smth. easy, like foil as a

material.

What do you think?

I don't quite understand this question. If you already own the equipment, why not do a little

experimenting yourself? It's the only way really to learn the possibilities of your gear.

Especially since you haven't said anything at all about what you intend to photograph and

under what conditions.

Having said that, a battery-powered flash doesn't put out a ton of light and will lose a lot

when used through a diffuser.

If you're just wanting a more diffused light source just bounce it off a piece of white foamcore. It's a lot cheaper than a diffusion panel, you can vary the amount of diffusion by varing the distance between it and the light and it's easy to alter the light by wraping the foamcore in aluminum or gold foil.

Yeah Vadim... he's right... just get 2 pieces of 20x30 inch foamcore and clip them together and just use them the same way one would use a photographic reflective umbrella!

Then take a third piece and use it as a reflector. Put silver mylar or aluminum foil on one side of the last piece of foamcore and that way 1 side for strong fill and the other for soft fill.

Vary the distance of the strobes to the foamcore to soften or harden the light.

Vary the distance of the foamcore reflector to the subject to soften or harden the fill.

Amen

Thanks for advises! And how about two flashes close to each other as one light sourse? I see PROS but maybe you may share some CONS to that? The idea is to add some power to main light. And do anybody know if there is already any solution to connect the two shoe mounts? Preferebly if it will be possible to adjust the distance between flashes and maybe put some modeling light in between... I tried to make some research yesterday evening but didn't get anything yet.

Thanks!

It is possible to chain ordinary flashes together together if you buy the shoes with multiple connections on them, but I don't know if it would work for the dedicated flashes you already own. But in your case, it shouldn't matter as you have remote triggering built in. Also, putting two or more flashes together will make the light more diffused since the light source is now spread out over a larger area. And yes, you could put a light between them to act as a modeling light, but it would probably not be very accurate as far as giving you an accurate representation of the shadows. But your flashes have a modeling function built in, so you may not need one.

Thanks a lot Mike! I'm working on that. Although I may use flash modeling function, it's a bit fast for me. That is why some continius light seems better. But u're right - I didn't see the problem that it wouldn't be accurate in my case. Thanks!