PHOTOSHOP COMPETITION - And the winner is..........

HuskyMason1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my attempt - hope you like it.

Looked through my pics to find some suitable background. Ran the original image through NoiseNinja to get rid of some grain. Copied the B&G into their new surroundings using Quick Mask.

Rotated brides body, cloned her a new left arm and left side of her dress, put back the old head. Rotated the grooms body and made the body more upright, put back his old head. Cloned him a new right shoe (actually a left one, can you spot it?). Made the bride slightly smaller and placed the couple next to each other on the ledge. Cloned in some grass in front of them.

Desaturated B&G and background. Added some grain and color to everything but the highlights and changed the contrast to match my vision of an old looking low contrast image shot on film. Selective dodging and burning to create shadows and matching the lighting on the B&G to the background. Cropped the image to a 1.5 aspect ratio. Added a vignette and some blur on the edges. Resized down to about 30%, sharpened it and saved it as a jpeg (quality 10).<div>00Jb3f-34516484.jpg.19f1b7ec18d391f459465b9e92acad63.jpg</div>

- adjusted levels

- new layer, paint, overlay 41%

- duplicate all, paste as layer

- fill flash of 3

- duplicate, gaussian blur 1.2 30% opacity

- rotated right

- color variations:

-- midtones: decrease green, darken

-- shadows: darken, increase green

-- highlights: increase blue, increase red

- selected background, feathered selection by 7

- guasian blur selection 1.8 on duplicate layer, 48% opacity

- decrease saturation to eliminate color darkening

Decided I wanted it more pink, new layer painted pink, color

at 6% opacity

Decided I needed a life, and quit while I was ahead XD

- turned down the brightness quite a bit

- yet another levels adjustment

- color tint correction because I can't stand a white dress being pink

Put a border around it, removed it, put it back. Removed it.<div>00JbsV-34533484.jpg.cd64610cdaf67299965419c0e5481806.jpg</div>

Looking back at my first version I thought it looked a little bit dark so I raised the shadows with a curve, slightly whitened the eyes and made a 8x10 crop to show what a potential enlargement could have looked like.

Best Regards,

Peter

BTW - C Jo, was your comment about manipulation directed at me?<div>00JcBs-34540284.jpg.a099cf5ed106394aa66e9bce7da96cfa.jpg</div>

I have had a couple questions on this, so for those interested.... I read this post from Marc about black and white conversions.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EmTd

I created an action out of this.... that way I can batch run it. This is typically what I do for my black and white proofing. When a client actually orders a black and white image, I spend more time on it.

1.select top right corner feather 6pixel copy paste adjsut opacity

2.select middle area feather 6pixel copy paste adjsut opacity

3. select lhs bright hot spots area feather 6pixel copy paste adjsut opacity

4. slect dress duplicate layer invert selection erase, blend multiply

5. duplicate layer in step 4 filter emboss adjust opacity to suite

7. duplicate background layer, levels to adjust mid tone point to lift out the skin tone a touch

8. collaspe layer down

9. burn corners, burn edges to darken to suite

10 add white borders

11 resize to 511 longest.<div>00Jcps-34551984.jpg.ee070446b3dac013bf2879d89d76d88b.jpg</div>

MARC

" Jo, I'd move to Carmel in a heart beat and you can have 50% of the manipulation/ retouching charges !!! The weather is Soooooo crappy here in Michigan : -)"

Royal blue skies and nearly 70* all this week ..

We sure pay dearly for Mother Nature allowing us to wear shorts over 325 days a year -- most have mortgages/taxes alone, that total $150+ a day. We have to make extra cash somehow, with our destination clients--especially since most of my B&G are second/older weddings > the retouching is welcomed...Those Leicas would be too sharp to expose around here :"-)

Although one of the largest Leica dealers is Sean > over @ Camera West, in Monterey ...

PETER BTW - C Jo, was your comment about manipulation directed at me?

No, but great use of sharpening on your submission ! I just really enjoyed the original alot--- well thought out. Just amazed at the skills many have mastered with CS ~ ~ it is not just the tools.

I'll make this thread a sticky for the top of the Wedding Forum...

Peter Steinhoff is the winner

Second place is Ken Papai and James Taylor - a tie.

Honorable mentions:

Steven Tout

Paul Sokal

Matt Needham

Marc Williams

Kim Long

Dave Wegwart

BW Combs

Brett Prucha

So - Peter - start thinking about a photo that you want to use for the next photoshop thread! Send me an email when you are ready.

Admin is working on fixing the "stickie" so it only shows up in the Wedding Forum and not also in the Unified View. Once that happens we will have a few regular features at the top of the Threads throughout the year.

I have a special one in the works with a nationally known and respected Wedding Photographer who is volunteering a learning thread sometime in the next few weeks. I'm not telling... Wait and see.<div>00JX0G-34441784.jpg.c667db3d70f990a82e5c03f7313a8f8d.jpg</div>

While I fell for the CGI post too (since there are programs that can infer what objects look

like when rotated digitally), realize that so much of what hollywood does is based on

motion control. When you erase something digitally, you have to shoot a second pass with

the camera movements controlled by computer to put in the information missing. There's

no magic software program that puts back what's there. It's all information from a second

strip of negative film scanned from the motion control camera. A whole lot of what is

done digitally in Hollywood is derived from real-world images scanned from neg film. For

instance, the flying rocks and debris in the recent remake of King Kong were shot, often in

slow motion, by the B-camera crew, just to be composited in digitally where the all CGI

Kong had stepped. There's footage of a crew member lamenting with a British accent:

"We go throgh a LOT of film, to shoot stuff like rocks, and duhhhht, and grosss" :-) In

earlier CGI films, like Jurassic park, even the dinosaurs were derived from actual models

that were built and then scanned into a computer. The shot of the T-Rex charging the

fleeing jeep in the film was actually shot with a stampeding rhinocerous IIRC to help the

compositors when they got the shot. You can do these things entirely through computer-

generated effects, but in order to make modifications in a time-effective manner, it's

always best to have actual imagery to work with instead of trying to derive it all from

scratch.