Let me preface this question with, "I am not a computer Geek", but have been

working in PSCS2 for a year.

I currently am using a pc and have never used a MAC. I am contimplating a new

computer, and wondering if I should convert to MAC. I have heard arguments

from both sides. Is there much of a "learning curve" to change to MAC? Will I

have to repay 100% for my PS and plugins? Please help me with this dilemma, as

I cannot decide. Are the graphics on Macs that much better?

I am being told to get an IMAC20 by some. What model MAC is best?, or PC for

that matter.

I now have a PC with Intel4 processor @3ghz w/ 2 gig of ram, but when working

in PS the fan never stops, and if I am running multiple programs it gets slow.

Your advice is most welcome on this subject.

Thanks,

Rob O.

Sounds like someone is putting heavy pressure on you to move to a Mac. Why? I could not imagine for the life of me how a Mac could help ME with anything whatsoever. Nothing against Macs, but still... Maybe you're better suited for a Mac than a PC? If so make the move.

Oh fer sure, get a MacIntel.

Truly, it is an non-issue. Find the inerface that works for you and go for it, the rest of us U*x

freaks notwithstanding.

From your eyxperience, I'd say go PC.

And I'm a Mac kinda person.

Those who use Windows will tell you to get that. Those who use Mac will tell you to go in that

direction. I suggest you visit an Apple store and test drive a Mac. Then drop by a CompUSA or

comparable, and test drive an XP machine. Then flip a coin.

<p><i>I currently am using a pc and have never used a MAC. I am contimplating a new

computer, and wondering if I should convert to MAC. I have heard arguments from both

sides. Is there much of a "learning curve" to change to MAC? Will I have to repay 100% for

my PS and plugins? ...Are the graphics on Macs that much better?</i>

<p>I'm a long time Mac user, so my bias is towards the Mac. But honestly, you can run

Photoshop on either platform once you get things set up correctly.

<p>Of course, if you are contemplating replacing your current computer (which

<i>sounds</i> like it should be powerful enough to run Photoshop pretty well) this is a

good time to consider your platform options. If you do decide on a Mac, the current Intel-

processor Macs, including the iMacs that you mentioned, will run Windows natively on the

Intel processor. You can boot into Windows if you want - you'll need to install it since

Windows doesn't come on the Mac - or you can boot into Mac OS X. With the addition of a

third party program called "Parallels" you can switch between Windows and OS X on the fly.

This would enable you to continue using some of your current Windows software during

the transition, though everyone I've met who did something like this eventually gave up

the Windows stuff.

<p>The Mac OS is different than Windows and would likey seem awkward for you at first -

things aren't where you are used to finding them. But soon you would adapt and it would

become second nature.

<p><i>I am being told to get an IMAC20 by some. What model MAC is best?, or PC for

that matter.</i>

<p>For most Mac buyers who do not want a laptop, the current iMacs are a great deal.

They are quite powerful and can come with 17", 20", or 24" monitors, all of excellent

quality. You can attach all of your standard peripherals via USB or firewire ports, and

virtually all such devices (keyboards, mice, card readers, external drives, etc.) from a

Windows machine will work on the Mac.

<p>Most Photoshop users should be fine with one of these iMacs, equipped with

sufficient memory and a large hard drive.

<p>Current iMac pricing is very competive with pricing of name brand Windows

computers. I'm a member of the technology standards committee at my college; we

research and select hardware and software standards. We are a dual platform campus, so

we have many Windows users and many Mac users. We specify standard computers in

certain common categories. Currently we pay significantly less of the iMacs than we do for

comparably equipped Dells on the Windows side. Over time, the Mac and Windows costs

are not that much different.

<p>Dan

Thanks to all of you for your great responses, yet I still undecided. With the Windows ability, does this mean I can run my current version of CS2 and all my current plugins on the MAC machine?

What is MACOSX & Linux? Are these operating systems, such as Windows?

Thanks again to all of you for your thoughtful answers. Keep the advice coming.

Rob

<p><i>does this mean I can run my current version of CS2 and all my current plugins on

the MAC machine?</i></p>

<p>Yes. But you probably will want to run Mac OS X on a Mac. You can arrange with

Adobe to exchange the Windows version of Photoshop for a Mac version for a small

shipping fee (basically for free). A similar policy may or may not exist in your plugin

vendors. I would ask the plugin vendors anyway, since that would encourage them to

better accommodate people who turn away from Windows.</p>

<p><i>What is MACOSX & Linux? Are these operating systems, such as Windows?</i></

p>

<p>Yes, these are operating systems. Again, if you get a Mac you probably want to run

Mac OS X on it. It is comforting to know, however, that if a need arises, you can also boot

Windows on an Intel-based Mac (I would suggest to ask someone to help you in that

case).</p>

<p><i>Get a Mac and you can run MacOSX, Windows, and Linux. Side-by-side.

Simultaneously. And all their associated software (the Windows part you got, and the Mac

part you'll get, free). Three machines in one!</i></p>

<p>Yeah, and if you get one of the higher-end Macs, I hear <a href="http://www.flickr.com/

photos/washington_dc_photographer/329177120/in/photostream/">you can actually run

the Matrix</a> on it!</p>

I used a Mac at school for my photography courses and a PC at home for my non-school photography work. I didn't see any differences worth arguing about between them in terms of editing and printing photographs. Maybe there are graphic arts applications or some exotic type of work that would compel smeone to use one or the other but if you're an amateur or semi-amateur and your principal reason for using your new computer is photography I think either will do fine, at least they did for me.

I have to say, that if everything is working just fine, either platform (Windows or Mac) will

be fine, but if you are having problems, fixing them on a Mac is much easier, and in my

experience there are fewer instances of problems to fix.

If your current computer seems to be struggling with Photoshop, perhaps you just don't

have enough ram. You should have at a minimum 1 gigabyte of RAM, and better if you

have more.

McCluney Photo

Mac or PC? I'm a mac user, I have a IMac upstairs and a IBook downstairs. The main reason I switched to Mac was because I refuse to give any more money to Mr Gates. I have no window based programs on my computer, all of it's freeware and works just as well and is completely compatible. I've been on mac for about five years now and have never had even one virus (QUICK, must touch some wood! lol). Saying all that there really isn't that much difference between the two. I find mac more 'logical' but then I'm female, don't know if that's got anything to do with it. But as one of the other replies state, give each a test drive, although you might find mac a bit odd at first, it's a pity you can't test drive for a couple of weeks. You'll really get a good feel for it then. Good luck, this is not a very easy decision. . . .

<p>I think all PCs* these days have <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Access_Control">MAC</a> implemented - it's not an either/or situation, they'll all have ethernet interfaces, therefore they'll all have MAC implementations, and an associated MAC address.

</p><p>

* Although don't take my word for it - I don't use a PC, I use a Mac.</p>

"...Yes. But you probably will want to run Mac OS X on a Mac..."

TRANSLATION: None of your existing Windows programs will work on a Mac.

Unquote

That is TOTAL BULLSHIT, Ronaldo.

Either you simply don't know what you're talking about, or you are a bald faced liar.

Comes with the territory, I guess.

>>I say wait and get a factoty-configured Windows Vista machine.

>>That's the future.

With all due respect, I cannot agree with nor recommend that route. Vista is likely to have stability problems for a long time, until one or two service packs have been issued. If that is not the case, it'll be a first for Microsoft. Never get the initial release of a Microsoft OS, unless you like paying money to be a beta tester. One you get beyond the eye candy, it remains to be seen if Vista is any better -- or worse -- than XP.

I used Mac for a long time, before switching to Windows for professional reasons. Now that Mac runs on Intel and I can run Windows on it, I'll be switching back as soon as I have the money to get a MacBook Pro. Mac has always been my preference.

My advise (I work on both but I much prefer Mac) is to go to CompUSA and look at both. Ignor most of what the salesperson says because he/she will try to persade you towards the one they like - just like when you go to look at a Canon or Nikon, the salesperson will steer you towards one brand vs the other.

Photoshop works great on either. CS2 and CS3 beta work great on my iMac.

The one huge benefit for Mac is the very little worry of virus', etc. They don't get them. There are "apple virus" out there, I don't know the technical term, but it's highly unlikely you would ever get one. PC's - you will need software to help prevent you from getting them, you will get one anyway and and will need software to remove them once you get them.

Another nice benefit is that you can run Window's on the new Macs if you so choose.

So, check out the new Window's machines and the new Intel Mac's and decide for yourself.

Carolyn

MAC is a manufacturer of high quality hand tools. PC also stands for "Politically Correct" or

"Pernicious Consumption". ;-)

What you really mean is whether to buy a computer that runs Windows operating system

or one that runs Mac OS X. The majority of computers made right now will run Windows

operating system. Only Apple computers will run Mac OS X, and Apple computers made

now will also run Windows XP. Apple computers will also run various different versions of

Linux operating system, much as many other computers will.

So ... Both Windows XP and Mac OS X are good operating systems, both get the job done

well, and both have their proponents and antagonists. From long association with both, I

tend to prefer the way Mac OS X works and what is available for it. The good news is that if

you buy an Apple system today, you have the option of using both or either per your own

predilections.

Which model Apple computer would serve you best? That depends on you and what you

are trying to achieve. Photoshop CS2 runs well on all of them, although it's not optimized

for the current generation hardware in its Mac OS X form. Photoshop CS3, currently

available as a beta release, will be available within a few months and is fully optimized for

both operating systems.

My choice for doing heavy-duty image processing work is an Apple Mac Pro with 2 to 4 G

of RAM and a Cinema Display 23" monitor. I like it due to the expandability and the large

monitor space. If I wanted a more compact system or didn't see the need for as much

expandability, I would buy an iMac 24" with a 500M drive and 2G RAM. Another option

would be a MacBook Pro 15" with a 20-23" Cinema Display ... offering mobility and

convenience at the expense of processing power and performance. Which kind of system

to pick depends upon what your needs are.

For Adobe software products, if you buy an Apple system and want to run Mac OS X, you

can arrange an upgrade/license transfer from Windows to Mac OS X. For some other

products, this is also true, and for some others you simply need to buy the Mac OS X

version. Again, what's going to work for you depends almost completely on what you use

and what you want to do.

Mac OS X is blessedly free of viruses and works extremely well when running many

applications simultaneously. It has many applications and features included with it as

delivered so that you often need only a few key software additions to get your work done.

There is a large number of low-cost, excellent quality shareware and freeware software

available as well, and Microsoft Office data files from Word, Excel and Powerpoint are fully

supported across both Mac OS X and Windows.

I would suggest going to the Apple website and doing some more research to familiarize

yourself with what's available and then going to a CompUSA or similar to see and

experiment with the products. If there's an Apple Store in your neighborhood, I'd visit

them too ... they tend to have more of the Apple products on display for you to

experiment with and be better informed about the options and choices than the computer

superstore vendors.

Godfrey

LOL ... My statement is that they are both *good* operating systems, not qualitatively

whether one was *better* than the other. ;-)

My personal preference indicates that I agree with you, but both work well enough for most

people to use to get their work done.

Godfrey