5x4 for architectural work

nigelslostit

Hello.

I am looking to buy a 5x4 for mainly architectural and interior work. I have been looking at the Toyo View

g and gx. How do these cameras shape up?

I have used Sinars before (a little too heavy for taking out and about) and Cambo sc's ( I'm looking for

something a litle more precise)

Any help of advice would be gratefully recieved.

I am in the uk so if you know of any good european or US stores who ship over here let me know.

cheers.

Pete.

Pete, I have a Toyo F and Sinar X. I tend to use the Toyo more for on-sight shoots, like architecture when I need the movements. Frankly I use my old Crown Graphic nearly as much though. It will do 65mm without changing to a bag bellows, and has the majority of movements I need.

While I love the Sinar for its precision and strength, I like the Toyo for its lightness, though I'm always worried about how fragile it is. Another brand I've used, but don't own, is the Horseman L series. It is almost a combination of lightness, durability, and precision of the Toyo and Sinar. I've always liked them, but they were fairly expensive in the states, new, and I ended up with a Sinar because of the "auto" Hyperfocal feature. The only downside I see is the parts are a little harder to come by than Toyo's and Sinar's.

The Toyos would be a good choice. The Horseman is also good, in that the movements, are geared, which, when doing the precision work often required for architecure, comes in handy. They are not lightweight, though. I use an Arca Swiss F Metric. Geared movements, relatively light, very solid. An arch. photographer friend uses a Linhof Kardan - heavyish, but compact and very rigid. He's on his second one, and he could afford to spend more if he wanted to. Very good price. Don't buy new. No need to in this market. Contact KEH in Atlanta USA or Midwest Photo Supply in Ohio USA. Ask for Jim and Midwest. Everybody loves him. He knows just what arch photogs use and don't use.

have you looked into the Toyo VX 125? It's my faviourate camera for archeticture. it is much lighter compaired to the Toyo G series, which I use in the studio. its bellow is made from a special ultra flexible fabric, so you don't need to change between wide angle bellows and standard bellows. The saunders quick release plate and the telescoping monorail makes the setting up process quick when you are rushed for time during sunset, and the standards can be brought very close to each other so that you don't need to use a recessed lens board for anything longer than 58mm.

you can find more info. here: http://www.camerareview.com/templates/reviews.cfm?camera_id=33

Some professional architectural photographers use Linhofs. Either the Master Technika Classic or 2000. An Ebony 45SU would be ideal. It is a wide angle and normal camera with asymmetrical tilts which make focusing easier. The 45S would also be a good choice, but no asymmetrical and a slightly shorter bellows. BRUCES sells a lot of cameras in the UK.

I've used a variety of LF cameras, but of course not all. I do some exterior architecture as an amatuer. I'd look for a precise camera with interchanagable bellows and extensive amounts of front rise. I'd check that the camera can handle short lenses without recessed boards. Currently I use a Linhof Technikardan. For architecture, I think the Technikardan a better choice than the Technikas.

For a while I had a Canham DLC, shortly after it was first made. Back then, one of the selling features was that the one bellows would do everything. I found that not to be true -- the bellows became too compressed for short lenses and when extensive rise was used, pushed the standards out of alignment. This leaves me sceptical of "one bellows can do everything" for architectural photography, though maybe someone else has accomplished that goal. After I sold the DLC, a bag bellows became available.

I used a Tachihara for amateur exterior architecture and it worked fine. Since the standard bellows on a Tachihara will compress enough to use a 65mm lens with very imited movements (but a little movement goes a long way with a 65mm lens)it probably would be adequate for many interiors as well. I'm sure it isn't something a professional architectural photographer would choose but I fancy myself a pretty decent exterior architectural photographer (don't know enough about artificial lighting or color balancing to do much with interiors) and the Tachihara worked for me. My Master Technika works well also though with it using lenses wider than 75mm is problematical.