should I use a Filter with the hood

scott_southard

Well I just got my shinny new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM

Autofocus Lens yesterday from B&H for $1,699.95

I also bought a hoya 77mm hmc uv filter. Should I use the fitler and the hood

together?

Will I get better pictures without the filter?

Thanks.

Scott Southard

Get a more expensive "multi coated" filter. The difference is amazing, the thing doesn't reflect light and is almost invisible on the lens. I.e, your models won't be able to use the filter as a mirror. I guess this should improve things by reducing reflections and flare

Always use a hood, it will protect the lens but more importantly reduce the chances of flare.

Frank:

Hoya do several grades

Std Reflectance 4-5%

HMC Reflectance 1-2%

SHMC Reflectance 0.3%

B+W do two grades

Std Reflectance 3%

MRC Reflectance 0.5%

I use Hoya SHMC myself, otherwise use B+W MRC.

There is a lot of uniformed paranioa about filters.

My experience with the Hoya is very good, the lens will normally flare before the filter, even top end L lenses. There are some exceptions. A risk factor is a large separation between the filter and the lens front element like on the 50/1.4 and even then only wide open.

Test results here: http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/LensTests/Flare/index.htm

The only time it might be necessary to remove a protective filter is for night shots.

I use both hood and filter but remove the filter when I use a tripod, which usually means I absolutely want best results. I got the 28-300mm L IS lens recently and it has a huge front element with all that glass exposed. I agree with the hood helping with protection, but the hood of this particular lens is even smaller than the one on my 20-35mm lens, so I'm glad that I bought the B+W F Pro MRC which I promptly applied after unpacking at the UPS Store.