Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8 LD Al-s manual lens

thalamuse

I'm considering buying this lens, which has been in storage 8 years and is

aparantly in new condition. Its been used on a Nikon body with the Tamron

adaptal system,of which I've never used, and comes with a 1.4x converter.

My question is on the quality of this lens - I'm not finding anything in

searching the web, and to the availabilty and ease of use with the adaptal

system of tamron... apparantly need two adaptals to use this lens.

I would use it on the K10d body which I'll be probably getting next week.

the seller is asking $550.00, of which I have no idea to its true worth.

your expert help is indeed appreciated!

thanks,

Nic

Nic,

Although I cant speak to the quality of this particular model, I can give you some info on SP lenses in general and the adaptall system.

The SP line is the top of the Tamron line (super performance). I have a few of the SP manual focus lenses. Some are better than others, but ALL are very good.

As for the Adaptall, They work great! You will want the K/A adapter which has the electrical contacts for the 'A' setting on the lens. You only need one adaptall. To use, just push a button (a tab actaully) on the side of the Nikon mount and give it a twist and then toss into nearest trash can. Grab your mount of choice (that would be Pentax) line up the blue dots and twist it on. Presto chango, you have a Pentax lens. To use your tele-converter, twist off you mount. REplace it with the tele converter in the same way you would put the mount on. Then take your mount and put it on the end of the tele-converter. It's easy. You'll stumble through it the first time or two that you take one of these off. Once you get the hang of it, you will come to appreciate the genious of it's simplicity. Hope that helps.

Mel

www.adaptall-2.com has a lens test of this lens.

Best place to pick up an adapter would be ebay,KM adapters are common and KA a little rarer but available, they sell for around 30GBP in the UK. Regarding the price, you could check ebay for finished listings to see what the lens has been selling for, from what I've heard about the lens it's one of the best of it's type but I've never used it.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've also read that the Tamron Sp line are very good.

The other thing I'm concerned about is the K10d reportedly has metering problems with manual lenses... not sure if it includes A lenses or is for screw mount manuals. Don't know how much more work it would entail using a manual lens... If I've heard right the older ist D series cameras can meter fine with manual lenses. Am I anywhere on track with this?

Thanks!

Nic,

I use a couple of the Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses (I also have a mid 1970's Adaptall 300m) all work completely fine with my K100D so should be okay with the K10D. With a PK/A mount all modes work fine (except autofocus of course1)

I find my PK/A mount needs to be unlocked and moved about half a millimeter to get the metering to connect up properly - could well be my mount is a touch out!

The PK (sometimes called PK/M) mount as already mentioned does not have the electrical contacts to transmit the apeture so doesn't work as well. With a K100D (and a K10D AFAIK) you need to set the camera to manual metering. having selected your image to capture, a quick press on the AE lock button stops down the lens and sets the correct shutterspeed according to the metering. Sounds a bit clunky, but in practice works well.

Best to get a PK/A mount if you can - I got mine with a lens for not much more than the usual cost of the mount alone! Ebay is your friend!!

As to the SP 80-200, I know nothing about the lens so cannot say if the price is fair. As has been said, check out completed auctions to see the going rate on the lens.

Hope this helps,

Craig.

• 1 year later...