45mm P Madness !

ggoodroe

Jon,

I'm not very familiar with the 45mm P, but why is the new black version going for 420 dollars vs. 290 dollars for the new silver one? I don't recall there being any difference in price between the two when they were still produced by Nikon.

Granted, a silver lens on a black body will look odd, but if it takes the pictures, in the end it doesn't make any difference.

Just supply and demand. The black version was always more popular, but there was always less of them on the market even when new. Judging by the serial numbers listed on Roland Vink's website there are over 22,500 silver 45mmP's out there in comparison to just over 9,000 black 45mmPs - 2.5 silver 45mmPs for every black 45mmP.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#50%20slow

The 50,400 yen (approx. $420) price for the new black 45mmP is Nikon's original list price, so at least Fujiya Camera is being halfway decent with their pricing. They could easily charge more. BTW I've tried both black and silver versions, and they do take identical photos :-) But .... here's vanity kicking in ... the black version does look waaaaay cooler ;-)

When I bought my black 45/2.8 it was about £10 more than the silver one IIRC. The black <i>is</i> way cooler, but I bought it because there's a lot of metal on the front of the lens, and I didn't want attention-getting reflections when shooting into the light.