perhaps the best an secure site where to shop and have it sent to our offices

in Houston.

Thanks in advance for your help. appreciate

ciao

luca

i have no local camera store,but i have one about 100 miles away

that i buy from and ups to me,they are close to b&h price on items

that i got so i supported the camera store. i have ritz 30 miles away

but i have no use for these over priced clowns.i have tried a couple online or from photo books, but as others will tell you stick with B&H

photo if you order, and you will enjoy your purchase not regret it.

I have just bought and received from AbesofMaine.com Service was great, got what I bought. $1,174.99 plus $15 shipping. I have bought from them in the past and service and price has always been right on.

What everyone said about BHPHotoandvideo.com is also very true, hard to beat the price, can't beat the service. As a NY resident I have to about 9% sales tax so on a large ticket item from NY vendors like BH so I go out of state for big purchases with similar prices.

BH is my preferred vendor, though, especially when I can go in to the store!

Alex

Adorama is a reliable vendor. I've made many purchases from them. The downside, compared to B&H is that you have no idea whether an item is in stock unless you phone in your order. Secondly, there is no way to track the status of your order online until it has actually been shipped. I've been stung a few times with backorders.

B&H won't ship to hotels or UPS/FedEx stations, but offer other options. Call them and ask. Your Houston office, with a permanent address and someone responsible to sign for the package is a definite possibility.

B&H is the best online dealer and will be considerably cheaper than local stores here in Houston. I order all my stuff from B&H and have zero complaints.

But, if you do choose to buy in Houston, the two best stores are Houston Camera Exchange and Camera CO/OP. I like CO/OP for their friendly and helpful staff but they are smaller than HCE so check to make sure they have the lens first. HCE is larger and usually has most items but still check ahead of time.

I compared the local prices to B&H recently and B&H is clearly cheaper. 10 to 30% cheaper is most cases. Plus, you save tax with B&H and shipping rates are really cheap for normal UPS (3-5 day).

As others have said, B&H would be a good source, but someone at your office in Houston

will have to purchase and supply a local shipping/billing address. One advantage to that is

you could have the lens waiting for you when you arrive.

I'm in Dallas not Houston, but someone here must know of several good camera stores in

Houston that they could recommend. The only one I know of is the Houston Camera

Exchange. You could email them and inquire.

http://www.houstoncameraexchange.com/

I suggest the following mail order companies:

B&H Photo or Hunts Photo and Video

For Hunts, email Gary Farber at: digitalguygary@wbhunt.com

I have used both stores with great success.

In Houston, Houston Camera Exchange. If you use the local Houston store, make sure they have the lens in stock and reserve or hold it it for you.

I live in Houston. Where is your office located? HCE is on Richmond, west of the Galleria.

Joe Smith

Shun, What exactly is the deal? I bought the USA version of the 17-55 2.8 yesterday from

B&H and it was $1199 with a $40 mail in rebate, bringing the total to $1159. I went to the

link that you provided, but it is strange in that it has no links to let you know what product

category you are currently in, i.e. Cameras & Photo Gear < Lenses & Accessories < Digital

Camera Lenses & Accessories, etc. But the price is 1149 even for a USA lens.

Not a big deal, but now I don't feel that I got such a great deal. Thanks.

Just to give a contrary view: I believe we really need to shop at local stores when we can, and support them with local dollars. There isn't a decent film-camera shop for 175 miles from where I live, so I use BH Photo a lot. But if I can save up the purchase, like bricks of film or equipment, I'll drive to town and buy it there. For one, I need the "local" store, and for another, their prices are as good as BH Photo and for Nikon lenses, usually cheaper, and I don't have to pay shipping. Too many people complain about this or that legendary camera store going out of business (I've seen it in Portland), but then we're quick to recommend buying mail order from NYC.

Shun, sorry. You did mention that it was a show special. I just wasn't familiar with that

terminology, so I guess your first post went right over my head.

Since I will end up paying $1159 for the 17-55 once I get the rebate, I'm not going to worry

about $10. Thanks again.

Thanks to everybody for your answer. I feel more confortable now for this deal.

To aswer Joe the office where I have to go for the seminar is located in 10200 Bellaire Boulevard. I never been to Houston so I don't have any idea.

I only hope that is not too far.

I sent an email to camera exchange because I noticed that they don't have an online stock catalog.

grazie

luca

The link that Shun Cheung provided is a better deal than B&H's regular price. It's $1149

plus you also get the $40 rebate, so after rebate it's $1109. That means $50 off their

regular price. I just bought the lens from B&H 2 weeks ago from the same link that Shun

Cheung gave in another thread. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...