Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens on a D50

tim_knight

I am looking at this lens as a possible replacement for my Nikon 18-70 lens.

What I really want is a faster zoom lens. This lens sells for around 1/3 the

cost of the Nikon zoom lens in this range and speed. I would like to hear some

personal opinions from some of you that have or had this Tamron lens.

Here is a review of that lens: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_1750_28_nikon/index.htm

Which concludes as follows:

The Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [iF] is a very serious performer

capable to deliver some of the best MTF50 figures to date in this lens class. Vignetting and

distortions are about average for a lens in this class. CAs are very high at 17mm and

24mm. Mechanically the lens isn't top notch but it compares very well here to other third

party lenses. AF accuracy could be a little better on the Nikon D200. Thanks to the very

moderate price tag the lens is highly attractive and definitely worth a deeper look when

shopping for a quality standard zoom lens for your APS-C DSLR and it's also a very serious

alternative to the genuine Nikkor standard zooms.

The 17-50/2.8 Tamron is a decent lens. Smaller and lighter than the 17-55/2.8 DX Nikkor, it makes a much more practical walk-around lens. For most purposes it should do a fine job. As with most Tamron stuff, you can't beat the quality/price ratio. However, as the above review mentions, the distortion performance isn't fantastic: noticeable pincushion at the wide end, and barrel at the long end. If you're doing a lot of architecture work, you'd do well to consider something else. And though most people will tell you distortion can be corrected in PS (it can), there's nothing better than getting things right the first time.

Additionally, the Tamron seems to lack the contrast of the Nikkor, and it is slower to auto-focus.

However, if you just want a well-built lens that you can use for general shooting, with the option to use in low-light, this lens will probably be a perfect fit for you.

Hi, I also have a Nikon D50 and also had this problem a couple of month ago, what to do about upgrading my kit lens. I was looking at many different lenses, some nikkors, and also other third party lenses. After going to B&H, i tried some lenses out, and finally decided on the Tamron 17-50. I couldnt be happier. I love the lens. It is not to heavy, it feels fairly well made, and i guess the copy i have is extremely sharp, even at f2.8 it is still very sharp, but usually i stop it down to f4. For a non AF-S lens, it focuses actually very quickly because of the small turing radius of the focusing ring. I really and happy i ended up getting this lens and have not looked back. i would recomend this to you. I hope this help.

Robert Hopkins