rachel k.

Hi y'all,

Is it worth buying the current year Photographer's Market book when you already

have 2006? 2006 was my first time buying one and I did nothing but skim it. Now

that I have more time, I wanted to <i>try</i> to get something out of it. So

just wondering if I can stick with the 2006 edition or if the updates in 2007

are worth while. Thanks!

Rachel

Well yes, there is a lot of unnecessary information in there. Do you really want to address your letter to the photo editor "John Doe", and find out he got canned or quit last year. Is it worth $25 to ensure putting your best foot forward? My dad always said "you never get a second chance to make a first impression", so make your first one count.

Dana/<a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com">www.whitemountainphoto.com</a>

Whether you're using the current version of a directory like this or last year's, it's always good to call up and say "I'm sending a query letter. Does that still go to xxx and is his/her title still xxx? And you're still at xxx (address)." Information in the 2007 edition of one of these books was compiled sometime back in 2006, probably early in the year in order to be on bookshelves by now, and maybe even earlier depending on how diligent the company is about being up to date. So even the 2007 book could conceivably have information that's a year old.

I usually buy the Photographer's Market book on a 2-3 year cycle, and as others have suggested, I always verify the photo buyer information prior to making contact. I'll be using my 2006 version this year, but will check information before making any contacts. By doing that you get current submission guidelines that may have changed. You will find that many buyers submission requirements change rapidly as digital submissions become more widely accepted. Checking out your prospective buyers ahead of time is also a good habit to get into so you are familiar with their business model and/or product. Go to their websites, ask for submission guidelines, get publication samples, buy their magazine to review - whatever it takes. Your query letter, promo piece, and/or submission has a far better chance of being seen if you can demonstrate that you've done your home work to get to know your potential client.