Ok, I figured I'd try this experiment last weekend. I took a 620 spool and

35mm film in it with 120 saved backing paper. I tried to keep the film as

centered as possible. I loaded with it my Kodak Vollenda 6x9 which has a

10.5cm 4.5 Zeiss Tessar lens and took it out for a spin hoping to get some

nice panoramas. After developing the negatives, I found out that the framing

was totally off. I thought that the 10.5cm lens on this camera would be a

simple 105mm short zoom on 35mm film so I tried to compensate but was still

off; what is the equivalent focal length on 35mm film? Here are some pics of

the camera and a couple of results. Thanks.<div>00JIa8-34154984.jpg.be6f93ecb6a86aa9e50c77aa949671a8.jpg</div>

Ralf;

The 105mm lens *would* be a short zoom with 35mm film - if you were shooting a regular 35mm frame! With panoramic formats, the concept of equivelant lengths and formats becomes increasingly meaningless. As it is, you're going to get a picture the full length (~84mm, probably) of the 6x9 negative, but only around 1/4 the width. If you had, for example, the 35mm film perfectly centered on the roll, it would be easy enough to mask off the original viewfinder, and see more-or-less what you're going to get...

The cheater's way to go, of course, is simply to shoot 120 film, and crop heavily on the top and bottom; voila, instant panorama. :D That method, though, loses a lot of the fun of your approach.

Ralf, 105mm is about 'standard' on to 6x9. Normally the rough guide is that a 'standard' lens is the dimension of the diagonal on the film. The diagonal of 6x9 is 117mm but the frame is usually a bit smaller then the nominal size.

Normal standard lengths for different formats are :

35 mm - 45 - 50mm

6x6 - 80-90mm

6x9 - 105mm

6x 4.5 - 75mm

9x12 - 135mm

4x5 inches - 150mm

I recently bought a 35mm Wide back for my Bronica ETR. It gives a format of 24X54mm. I tried a test roll but I may not have loaded it properly because afer the first few frames I could tell the film wasn't advancing properly. With the 50mm f/2.8 Zenzanon it gives a nice panoramic look. Eventually I will try this with a 40mm Zenzanon. I could just crop from center of a full 6X4.5 frame but there are certain films which are either no longer available in 120 size or were never made in that size. When I get the loading down I will try some of my remaining Kodachrome 25 with this back.

To keep your 35mm film centered you could tape the back of the film to the backing paper. Then you would gently remove the tape when you take out the film.

• 1 year later...

Luke, I'm with you. From the perspective of other posters in this thread, you're no fun. Neither am I. We're too interested in results, too little interested in process.

Sorry,

Dan

By the way, on a Century Graphic with a 2x3 back (really 57 x 81 or so), shots with a 38/4.5 Biogon crop to 26 x 80 with no vignetting, somewhat higher or longer if a little darkness in the corners is tolerable. Now, that's interestingly wide. As you said, with a lens that covers the format shooting 120 film and cropping as desired is easy and avoids the "composing when shooting" problem at least one poster in this thread mentioned. Who needs an Alpa 12 or an X-Pan?