Just bought a RZ67, now I need ascanner, Epson 4990?

Hello,

I just bought a RZ67 today and will be scanning my own film (6x7). This is all

for the purpose of teaching myself MF, I am coming from digital (Nikon D2X).

I have been and will be printing my own work on an Epson 1280 at sizes up to

13x19. I like the prints I been producing, and am curious if an Epson 4990 is

adequate to produce the same results I have been getting.

I am aware of the debate about the 4990 and the V700, I really would like to

here from people who use the 4990 and print in a similar setup.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

John

The 4990 or V750 is fine if you are satisfied with 35mm quality in a medium format scan. The best way to go, short of a drum scanner, is a Nikon LS-8000 or LS-9000. It's a pity that this scanner will cost more than your camera, but then, scanners are still in demand.

I agree with the above post.

However it all depends on YOUR definition of acceptability!

What you will find with a flatbed scanner is that your 6x7 scans will be a step DOWN from your D2x raw files in terms of resolution and density range. Honest (I have a D2x). Sorry. I have a ton of 6x7 Velvia 50 chromes from years ago and I have scanned many with my Epson 4870 and a few from a 4990. Good? Sure. But less than my raw files from D2x (shot properly with pro glass and processed properly in PS CS2).

If you want ever so slightly better quality than a Nikon D2x you really need to have your film drum scanner. Been there - many times!

I?ve been shooting with a Canon 10 D and recently for about a year with a Canon EOS 5D, which succeded my Canon EOS 10 and Pentax 67 II. While I hardly ever use my analog bodies any more, I still enjoy to scan MF slides with the EPSON 4990. I would say that the quality of the 5 D files is near that of the scans from the 4990. Image agencies and their customer at least like the bigger files even more, maybe according to that special MF-look? Conclusion (at least for me ;-)) ): you will be fine with the 4990

Hope that helps. Franz

Do what ever it takes to get a dedicated medium format scanner. I've been trying to talk myself into getting a V700 flatbed scanner because it's all I can afford, but I don't want to spend all that money and still not get those fine details out of my film. That really makes the difference between a nice print and wow.

Well, thank you all for your input. I went ahead and purchased a rufurbished 4990 directly from Epson for $279.00. Now I can scan and still save for dedicated MF scanner, if needed.

I know, your saying "refurbished, oh boy", but I did this with my Epson 1280 a year ago without a hitch, and is still covered by Epson's warranty.

This really is MF experiment for my own benefit, and these scans and prints are only for honing my MF technique, not for mounting or sale.

I have spent too much of my life trying to acheive allusive perfection chasing technology, now I just here to have fun.

Cheers,

Johnny

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

John

GO for either the 4990 (which I have), or the V700 with confidence. I have compared scans of mine from the 4990 with the same scan on the Nikon 9000 and can hardly notice a difference, and it even gives drum scanning a real run for its money, considering the price difference. As proof, I supply several all digital libraries with 6x7 scans on the 4990 creating 60mb files and they are more than happy with the quality.

I have also compared prints made on my Epson R2400 from the scans with prints from the same printer taken from digital files from the Canon EOS 5D and mine are definately sharper.

Therefore I have to disagree with some of the other replies (no offence), but I am more than happy with the 4990 and the quality it produces and would fully recommend it.