a digital one.

I am not impressed with the "feel" of the sub-$1K bodies, though the Nikon D80

is OK. The focus on the Rebel XTi seems very fast, but the body feel isn't

inspiring. I've heard great things about the K10D, but have no real

opportunity to get one in hand.

But right now it's down to the K10, D80, and maybe a Canon 30D (that I realise

has a smaller MP chip).

I do a lot of Macro, with flash, scenics, all kinds of stuff really... The

Pentax flashes aren't cheap, but are there off-brand that have full P-TTL?

I know this question has been done to death, but I wouldn't mind hearing some

general views.

There are Olympus digitals, but I don't think they use the traditional Olympus lenses (they also have a smaller sensor of the 4/3rds consortium size). Maybe you should dip your toe in before you dive in and commit yourself. There is a lot to like about digitals, but also a lot to learn. Most (if not all) DSLRs have a big learning curve because they are much more complex than a film SLR, especially the OM-4T. Maybe you should buy a cheap one and experiment around and then decide where you want to spend your real money.

I took most of my pictures with Leica M's and Contax SLRs, but I had some Minolta Maxxum stuff too, so I bought a KM 5D and played with it for a while. I was impressed enough to buy a Canon 5D for a main camera afterward. But I wouldn't have known what to buy without some digital experience first. Something like the KM 5D or the Nikon D50 or the Canon rebel XTi might be a good choice. Otherwise you might spend a lot for a digital only to find out that you don't like the digital workflow.

I have used Pentax equipment since 1970, and use it now on a Pentax *istDS. Pentax lenses are backward compatible. I will probably get the K10D when I have the money to spare, which might be a year or more.

If you have a large investment in Canon lenses, and they are compatible, then consider that lenses are the more valuable part of a system. If you aren't heavily invested in Canon, then Pentax is a way to go.

I use two true macro lenses on my DS: a Kiron 105mm and a Sigma 50mm. I put a Vivitar 254 flash (the old workhorse) on a bracket, added a ND filter and diffuser to the flash head, and got great exposures with the DS. Pentax is just plain flat-out versatile when it comes to using lenses and accessories.<div>00JMo1-34248684.jpg.6661af01421ddb9b89285031ed3579d2.jpg</div>

In my opinion, The D80, 30D, and K10D all have a sturdier, more substantial feel than the Rebel XTi. The same three also feature nice large and bright viewfinders that are better for manual focussing. I don't think you would care much for the Sony Alpha either in this regard. Nikon is probably the strongest flash-wise, though I don't know just how much of their flash excellence trickles down to sub-$1K bodies. Pentax is generally accessory-friendly from a compatibility standpoint, but where accessories are camera-maker or mount-specific, it can take a little hunting to find the piece you want. Sigma generally offers P-TTL flashes also but they may not be capable of working properly with the latest body (K10D) yet, but I would assume they would soon. I wouldn't sweat the fewer pixels on the 30D. Of all the good reasons to upgrade to the K10D, 10 megapixels wasn't all that high on the list--six is quite enough. The 30D is getting a little long in the tooth, but that is why it is now in shouting distance of the sub $1K bodies--It would not be surprising to see a 40D within a year or so that competes more directly against the Nikon D200.

If you are looking for pro high-speed glass, particularly telephoto, Pentax isn't quite there right now, though the product roadmap has some nice stuff scheduled for the next two years. Pentax is strong in state of the art prime lenses in the sub 100mm focal lengths however. Sigma makes many of their telephotos in Pentax K mount though.

-Andrew

I have owned briefly the K10D and now the D80. The D80 and Nikon system has a wide range of after market lenses and flashes. I like the iso adjustments on the D80 and the matrix metering. If you do macro I felt the K10 had issues trying to focus close-up. If I was you do what I did and try them both! I bought mine at Wolf Camera and told them I wanted try it out and wasn't sure if I planned to keep it. They had no problem and let me use it for 10 days.

A friend of mine just bought the Pentax K100D. He could just as easily have bought the K10D as he has the money, but the test results on Phil Askey's web site http://www.dpreview.com/

convinced him that the image quality was actually better on the 100. And he loves it as all of his lenses are now IS lenses. This is especially helpful when handholding macro (though Nikon now offers an IS macro). You might want to check out the tests for yourself.

I owned a Canon 20D and 30D.....quite frankly I like the feel of the K10D in my hands. As

far as lenses....well, some of the Pentax lenses ARE hard to come by right now....I have the

540 flash and I like it...but for what I do (weddings and portraits) you can actually use any

flash and trigger it off camera using pocket wizards.

I would hold the K10D and 30D in your hand....if your hands are smaller like mine, I think

you'll like the feel of the K10. Check out this link for one of the better Pentax

photograhers, Mark Dominic....

http://www.pbase.com/mark_dominic

Long story short....go with the K10D, get a 16-45mm, 100mm macro and a 50-200mm

Good luck

Thanks for all the replies!

I've had a chance to play around with a few friend's DSLRs, and the things I don't see with anything I've used is the 1 degree (!) multi-spot meter my OM-4T has, along with the 4-minute exposure capability. And frankly the body integrity (unless we're into the D200 and up).

I've been scanning my Velvia slides via a Coolscan V, and the learning curve has been pretty easy -- but digital is so convenient, and you're not limited to 36 irreversible pictures at a clip. The weird thing is, all my friends who have digital cameras are coming to ME to figure out how to use them! I actually think they're a snap, if you have prior photo/video experience. The OM-4 really requires more skill, but also rewards someone who knows how to use it.

It SEEMS that the K10D has a fine build quality, at a price I want to afford...

Maybe the problem is that anything mentioned is capable of great photos. Is there a BAD camera out there? I imagine I want the sense that when I plunk my money down, that I've gotten a REALLY solid one... Not something that feels like a toy. The OM-4T is an instrument. Many DSLR's feel like toys. Which is odd considering the 2 small digicams I've gotten for family (Minolta/Fuji) were under $300. and BOTH had aluminum bodies!

Thanks for your patience...

Most modern Electronic SLRs prior to digital felt that way (at least the lower cost ones). The "Pro" SLRs didn't but they tended to be heavy and expensive. The same is true of DSLRs. If you want something built like a tank, there's the Canon and Nikon Pro systems, as well as the semi-pros like the Canon 5D and the Nikon D200. The Canon 5D is definitely a substantial feeling DSLR without being TOO heavy. But it's not weather sealed either.

I'm sorry to say, but if flash and macro are a major interest, the best setup is the D80, with the R1C1 macro flash kit and one of the Nikkor Macros. Pentax simply doesn't have a macro flash setup that's in the running (Canon does have a decent Ringlight, but it's no where near as flexible as the Nikon setup). In fact the Nikon flash setup simply outmatches the competition, all of it.

For non-Flash macro, the D-FA macro on a K10D is a superb configuration.

The only P-TTL off-brand flashes are the Sigma DG 500's, which I cannot recommend to anybody. Flaky and fragile. The Pentax flashes are quite reasonably priced as well (unlike Canon flashes). Note the only features you lose going from the 540 to the 360 are the swivel head (360 is tilt only) and power, the 360 is a wireless master, Auto and manual flash and can do pretty much everything it's more powerful sibling can.

Thanks Adam. Actually I'm used to hand-holding a fullsize flash, camera in the other hand, prefocussing in macro to the ratio I need, and going to it. And this was with a manual focus camera!

So... if an off-brand flash will do P-TTL, plus be connectable via cable, I'm good to go. Wireless would be all the better.

I've never used a "macro" flash, partly because my results have worked out OK without one. But I can see the potential benefit.