D200 Metering

kk_hui

It depends on the scene you're shooting, presumably in matrix. I find early before sunrise and similar lighting situations require +1.0 or greater. It just depends on what the scene computer thinks. I felt that the D70 chose a flatter approach, if you can call it that. The D200 seems to attempt at all costs to avoid large blown highlights at the expense of the rest of the image.

I have also found the D200 metering to be very sensitive to light, and if I am not precise, I tend to blow out highlights, especially with the SB800. Typically, inside of 5' I have to dial down the SB800 1/3 to 2/3 EV to keep from overexposing. Some, if not mose of this may be inexperience though.

Those of you that report inconsistencies, please designate what metering mode is applied... Spot, Matrix, or Center-Weighted (and what size area when using Center-Weighted), and also what exposure mode; Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program, or Manual? <p>These all could effect exposure accuracy (and the Exposure Compensation setting should be checked as another possible influence).<p>I use Spot or Center Weighted metering in Manual mode with no compensation and get very accurate exposures on the D200... t

I also noticed that with Matrix I get costant 2/3 stop underexposure. I even set this kind of compensation as a permanent setting, only for matrix, and am experimenting this way. When in doubt I switch to the old trusted centerweighted, and start thinking about exposure again, which is not bad if you have time.

I also noticed that at higher ISO if you underexpose you get lots more noise, and this could probably explain the not very brillant ratings the camera gets in this compartment. In facts I have to say that if you nail the exposure correctly you get very useable iso 800-1000 shots. Marco

In daylight, in Matrix, I don't really have to adjust much, except for extreme situations like ice etc. I find with the on board flash its too bright by about 12/3 or more and just compensate ev for it. with the SB800 I have to compensate too.