220 Folder

Recently, as I put the 4th or 5th roll of film in my Perkeo II during a morning

of shooting, it occured to me that it would be nice to have a folder that could

use 220 film. So when I got home I hit google and came up with the Ensign

Autorange 220. From the sketchy information that is available it not only takes

220 film but is convertable from 6x6 to 6x4.5. Aparently they were made pre war

but I have not found any reference to any post war construction. So I guess

there would be no coated lenses. Anybody out there with any additional

information or any experiece with this camera?

David, I am fairly certain the Autorange 220 takes 120 film only. The camera dates from 1938 - 1940 or so and 220 film was only introduced in the 1960's sometime. By this time most nedium format cameras had dropped the red window film advance for the lever wind type.

Ensign used several names like 220 just to designate different models. There may be a rationale behind the naming but it is not entirely obvious. So you get the Autorange 220 (two different film formats 6x6 and 6x4.5) the Selfix 220, 420, 820.

I have one of these although I haven't used it yet. It is one of the most solid cameras I have ever encountered. It has a semi automatic film advance, but needs a red window to set the first frame. On that basis, I anticipate that it would be no use for 220 film. Furthermore, the counter goes up to 16 frames only at 6 x 4.5. In other words, no chance for 220 at all.

Thanks guys...I went back and re-read what I found earlier and I guess it was the description of how to change the format from 6x6 to 6x4.5 and the model #220 that got me confused. I saw a couple of references to converting 120 cameras to 220. Anybody know anything about that?

Ah, the Perkeo II! I have one of those, and it's simply the sweetest, nicest, cutest, funnest, and lightest 6'er I've ever tried. Couple that with the sharp and saturated color images of which the 3.5 Skopar is capable, and it's easy to see why they're so much fun to use. Lots of folders out there, but this one's beyond all of them, IMO. Sorry to be off topic, but I couldn't resist!

W... any folder should technically be able to take 220 film with a little DIY. First, shoot a roll of 120, or load the paper backing from 120 to determine how many turns you will need to advance past the leader. Then note how many turns it takes to advance for each frame. A little black tape over your red window and you should be able to shoot 220 just fine... itll just take a little more concentration to remember to count your advances and count your exposures so you know how many shots you have left. Ive done this before using a Polaroid Land Camera I converted to take 120 film... no red window and no frame counter, but great photos!

" First, shoot a roll of 120, or load the paper backing from 120 to determine how many turns you will need to advance past the leader. Then note how many turns it takes to advance for each frame. "

This probably will not work. The 220 film (which does not have any backing paper except for the leader) probably does not have the same thickness as the backing paper of 120 film, and so the number of turns of the advance button will not be the same. Also, the turning angle (or number of turns) varies over the length of film. And one more issue: due to the design of most pressure plates I have seen the 220 film will not be guided correctly across the film screen.

In other words, I don't think that such a simple "conversion" will work and will be worth probably wasting at least one roll. 120 film is not that difficult to load, is widely available and can be handled easily with all folders. Why change to 220 film with uncertain results?

• 4 months later...

Well bit late I know! Confirm all the above - will not take 220.

However I have a favour to ask, if anyone has a 220 Autorange,

can I see a picture of the top showing counter, back showing red

window(s) and back inside showing masks. Particularly

interested in those with pre war Compur shutters. The LICM

camera is a 12 frame only example and I am curious to know

when the dual format became available.

• 5 months later...

Keith,

Red window only used to set first frame.

To use as smaller format first close the masks inside, then pull the centre pin out of the frame counter and turn the disk to show 16 frames (not 12). Also move the aluminium slide across the viewfinder window. As far as I know they are all dual format. LICM may not realise how it is converted.