Filter to leave on at all times

dave_petley2

Polarizers would be inconvenient because you lose a couple of stops right off the bat. You could use a UV filter, but lately I've just been buying clear "filters" which have become more prevalent--especially from Nikon. You'll undoubtedly get people responding, saying they never use a filter. I always have one on and it's saved my lenses many times. For ultra critically sharp images, I will sometimes remove the filter.

I leave a UV filter on my lenses normally. Depending on the conditions, I will remove it. Shooting into light sources and such are removal times. I was shooting the USS Alabama at night in Mobile, AL last week and started to get funky double images with my UV filter. It got wet from the moist air. This was a salvation, however, because it kept my front lens element dry. So I was able to unscrew the filter, take the shot and put it back on, saving me from only having to clean the filter and not the lens itself.

As another poster said, don't be mindless about it.

None, just the lens cap when not shooting, as any extra piece of glass will lower the image quality. But if I were going into a known harsh environment I would invest in a super-multicoated clear/uv/haze from Hoya or someone else, that would generate as few extraneous reflections as possible.

If you're worried about having to clean the front element of your lens if you're not using a

protective filter: don't be! Modern coatings are hard enough to be cleaned repeatedly without

scratching them. Just blow the dust off with a bulb, then use a microfibre cloth wetted with

cleaning fluid first, then another corner of the cloth to dry it.

Filters are better used to the effect they are made for.

I use a B+W KR 1.5 as my normal filter. It is a warming filter with UV and serves to protect the lens. I take it off whenever it is inappropriate to have a filter on a lens--like at sunrise and sunsets and other lighting situations where light hitting the filter could cause flare or a reflection. I use a polarizer mainly as a means of reducing glare from water, moisture on leaves, etc. I rarely use it to enhance clouds. I have found that a strong warming filter, KR 3 or KR 6, does the job without the unevenness you often get with a polarizer across the sky with wide angle lenses. Good warming filters also can remove UV. Look here for info: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/handbook/

And I use them on my digital SLR too. Joe Smith

Joe Smith

Always UV. On my wide-angle I leave the polarizer on as more often than not I need it; I purchased some HOYA UV/polarizer particularly for that purpose. Since a couple of years back I am a complete convert from not allowing any additional piece of glass in front of the lens to always have at least a high quality, multi-coated UV filter on. I agree that it can reduce image quality on occasion but it is a whole lot easier to clean and possibly replace than the front element of the lens. I need to add that I shoot a lot at the beach and the filters need a regular thorough cleaning.

I'd suggest a UV 0 that is multi-coated on either side. I started doing this after an internship with a local paper years and years ago. I prefer a HOYA as they make a slim one that has no threads for a filter to screw onto it. I use one filter at a time.

As far as image quality is concerned I would suggest to take some test photos with it on and off and make your own decision. A lot of people don't even bother to do this (like with RAW versus JPG) and get caught up.

FYI: I leave mine on unless I am putting a different filter on.