Sigma 50mm macro soft

steve_phillipps

I've had a Sigma 50mm f2.8DG macro for quite a while and always thought it a

bit soft. Recently I got a Nikon to EOS adapter and put my Nikkor 55mm f2.8

micro (manual focus) on it and it's not contest - the Nikon is a lot sharper.

I get the feeling that although the Nikkor is known to be a great lens it

shouldn't be that much better than the Sigma so wondering if it could be a

lens fault?

Hi Steve, it may not be a "lens fault" per se - some lenses are just sharper than others. The Canon 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens is amazingly sharp and almost distortion-free. Perhaps you could sell the Sigma and go with the Canon. You might also test your Sigma stopped down a bit, versus the Nikkor wide open. If the Sigma improves considerably ~f/5.6 or so, it's probably just not a terribly sharp lens when used wide-open. The Canon I mention above is great in that regard - although it does not have USM, isn't a true 1:1 macro lens (without an adapter) and is an older design. Good luck!

The Sigma 50mm f2.8 should be a very sharp lens. Here's an example, showing the complete photo and then a 100% crop. As you can see, the crop allows you to clearly view some numbers on the watch face that are not easy to read with the naked eye. I presume you are focusing manually with the Sigma too, so if you are not getting this kind of sharpness from yours, it probably requires some attention.<div>00JLkS-34222284.jpg.5c517083b1954b376613644bc56283a8.jpg</div>