stuff. I am not 100% sure yet, but I am leaning that way. I enjoy my Leica R-E

and Hasselblad 500 more. But getting to my question, how do I go about getting

the prices I should ask for my stuff? I been checking out prices on places

like KEH, Adarama, BHPhoto. I have dealt with all of those companys and their

prices have always seemed fair to me. Another thing, I was advised to sell my

stuff off peice by peice and not all in one package. I will NOT under any

circumstances go to e-bay. Anyone who has went thru this have any advice or

input. Thanks. Gus.

KEH is a good place to check on prices; but realize that they offer a guarantee, as well as an unconditional return policy. A private sale should probably be at a somewhat lower price.

eBay also gives a good idea fo what people are willing to pay. You can click on the "completed auctions" link to get recent sale prices.

Finally, watch the prices here on the Forum, when equipment changes hands.

Yes, it is generally better to sell the pieces separately. A buyer might want your lens, for instance, but may not need the body you are offering. Of course, it is also possible that a buyer starting with nothing would like to get a lens with the camera, and not have to go looking separately for a lens. But I think the odds are in your favor if you offer them separately.

Don't forget to check the Photo.net classified section for current prices being asking.

Hi Gus,

In fact, one of the best place that I have sold and bought gear is right here on Photo.net, and everything has been quick, fuss-free, and the people that I have dealt with are honest. They are also people who are generally trying to recover their costs after having used their gear, instead of trying to make a buck off you.....like that big auction site. So, generally prices are slightly lower here on this forum and is a great way to enjoy photography, and buy and sell gear without any drama. People will also generally give you fair price estimates if you could post some pictures and descriptions of your gear, if you are not sure what price to advertise for. There are lots of very experienced photographers who use Leica here, so they DO KNOW their stuff and prices very well. All the best.

I would agree and try to sell here first. The best buyer is someone who actually wants your camera. Keh etc. do not want your camera. They just want to sell it on to someone who does. Thus they will never pay what a true buyer would be willing to pay for your gear. Selling piece by piece is good because there are more buyers that way. It is very hard to find a person who actually wants all that you have at one go. Someone will buy the body but might already have the lens you have, or wants a slightly different lens. Same with the other stuff. And if someone does want the body and lens and filter as well, there is nothing to stop him buying them all at the same time.

I know you said you won't go to eBay, but just as a note, I spent under $4000 there and got an M6 and eight lenses over a six month period without any misadventure. At the same time I sold about as much in photo and other gear. eBay allowed me to "covert" my possessions, and for that it was handy.

I can appreciate your feelings about Ebay, however, it is there that you can obtain the actual selling prices of any item by using the "completed listings" check-off about midway down in the left column. While Ebay requires you to be a member to access this information, you need not have to use the site to sell your goods. I agree that Photo.net is a great place to transact business.

Success in buying and selling on ebay requires the same sort of common sense that buying and selling in the real world calls for. Selling on ebay can be a hassle though, Photo.net will allow it to be "kept in the family" and is generally hassle free. Doing a completed items search (check the completed item box on the right side of the results page) is the easiest way to find the mean prices of items.

I've been looking for M6 chrome version for a while. Looked many places - KEH, Photo.net, ebay. Ended up buying on ebay (finally found what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay). The way I was checking price level - looking at completed auctions on ebay, also at "SOLD" items here. After a couple of weeks of such investigations you get pretty decent idea about the price level for a particular condition.