STROBES FOR FASHION

Hi there :),

I'm currently looking for a new strobe. I already own 2 ABs. I hesitate

between 2 brands, elinchrom and bowens, and I'd like you to help me choose.

Most of the shots I do are fashion and portraits. I want something that's not

too expensive, about 500-600 bucks cnd.

Here's an exemple of the kind of lighting I'd like to get (I know there's lots

of editing, but anyways...)

http://www.ndbm-

photo.com/ndbmfashiongalleryflder/ndbmfashion/ndbmfashiongallery.html

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if the english's bad, I'm a french canadian)

The leading brands in this area are

Profoto and Broncolor.

neither of which are anywhere near your price range.

I'd stick wiht the Alien Bees or wait for the Paul C. Buff Zeus units to come out. A great

advantage of the Alien Bees and the other Paul C. Buff lights (so far) is that they attach

directly to Balcar light modifiers and for fashion and portrait work Ballcar makes some of

the best light modifiers in the world.

But more than anything else: the photographers a tthe link you poosted just know how to

use light dramatically and skillfully and no brand of lightsyou buy willgive you that quality

of light straight out of the box. So my advice to you is to not focus on gear and really work

at learning how to use and shape light.

Normally the strobes you need for fashion are high output, extremely fast recycling, so

you don't have to wait, if the model goes through a series of poses in rapid succession.

No entry level (Under $1000) strobe will withstand the continuous use without

overheating, and in general they won't recycle fast enough for professional fashion.

McCluney Photo

Gene, gotta say I disagree with that as long as you don't need big power. The Hensel Integras we use as our low power easy transport options are very consistent shot to shot, recycle quite quick on lower power, 2 secs at full power. The Profoto Compact we've got is only marginally quicker, not quite as consistent shot to shot though. Either are under $1000 for a light, from memory about $1500 for a pair of either. If you need 2400ws though, you will definitely need to spend more unless you can find an old Calumet Traveller or maybe even an Elinchrom Classic 1500 or 3000 pack with a cheap head used.