Where to get old Bogen Quick Release Plate

tonyk

Greetings. I have an older 3265 Grip head with the release lever on the left

side of the head (when the grip handle is pointing out) on my main tripod.

This head came with a gray colored quick release plate, that allows mounting

onto the head at any direction on the head.

I recently upgraded my travel tripod with a new 3265 head and it came with a

different quick release plate (3157N) and the release lever is on the back side

of the head. This new plate has arrows on the bottom showing where the lens

points. So now, when I use the new plate on the old tripod, I have to loosen

it from the camera and change the mounting orientation 90 degrees. This

defeats the whole purpose of standardizing on a quick release system.

The only solution I can think of is buying some of the older style quick

release plates that allows mounting in any direction.

Anyone have any clue where to get those?

And yes, I've tried to taking the plate mount off the head and re-orienting

them, but apparently, the head itself if directional and will not change.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Do the plates fit other than the directional arrows pointing 90 degrees off? I have several plates, some have an arrow, some have 2 arrows. If so, then maybe just use the one head "sideways?" I do recall seeing a picture of a 3265 with the lever looking differently than mine did, I thought at the time that it was just fastened on differently but the new one, at least, has a lug which only allows attachment in one direction. You could also check to see if the new plate assy fits the old grip. If so, they are available and you could put a new one on the old head. (#3299)

Unfortunately, the plate mount is exactly the same on both heads. There is a protrusion on the top of the body (on the head) that dictates the orientation of the plate/mount. So, the head itself determines where the plate and mount goes.

The older quick release plates I'm talking about (and looking for) are grey in color and has the ability to mount in all 4 directions (almost looks like half a pyramid down there with a square that is tapered up in 4 sides to allow mounting on 4 sides).

Thanks.

Tony

It appears that Manfrotto/Bogen (M/B) have discontinued the square plate that works in any orientation. I've not seen any in local stores, the M/B catalog or on the 'net. It seems that none of the new plates are fully compatible either as they latch but limit the orientation.

However, I picked up a plate made of black plastic at a swap meet recently that's compatible with the M/B quick release. Problem is, I don't know who made it as there is no number or logo on it. You might try Slik or Cullman (or others) to see if their plates work. This one looked like a Cullman.

I also made up my own plate from a piece of lexan but it was a fiddly even with a milling machine.

Cheers,

Re: "You might try Slik or Cullman (or others) to see if their plates work. This one looked like a Cullman."

Duane, thanks for the insight. I looked it up and found an auction for one that looks like it might work. Here is the info:

Quick Release QR Plate Weifeng Tripod for 6223 & 6232

I've ordered it. Hope it works.

Thanks.

Tony

I have a couple of types of older Bogan plates, not sure of the names though. I have the plate of one, the base that attaches to the support is almost square (4.2 cm by 4 cm) however it suports a rectangular camera support(6.5 cm by 3.5cm). I used to use this with a Bogan Medium Ball head if that is of any help. I removed the screw and small clap that holds the screw, but if you have another Bogan plate you can just swap them out. The other plates I have is a totally flat plate which I got for a 3030 panhead (I think I still have one of those).

Looks like the "Quick Release QR Plate Weifeng Tripod for 6223 & 6232" auction plates work with some filing of the base after the removal of the metal pieces screwed onto two of the four sides (to make the base flat). The base "square" was a little big, so it had to be filed down too on each of the four sides. Other than that, it's aluminum and easy to file down. It eventually fits, so that's that.

Thanks.

Tony