flash bracket and a Wein safe sync.

I just started photographing weddings this year after several years of

senior/family photos etc. I have a couple of Vivitar 283s. They work ok, but I

think I could use a little more flash power. I have seen mention of

Quantum Turbo as well as some others. Just wondering what some of you would

recommend. I don't have a huge budget for this, so I am thinking $200.00-

$250.00.

I looking forward to reading your input. Thanks! Janet

My prefered would be one of the quantum flashes. Partly for the power, partly for the bare bulb. Gives really nice light. I have been studying the better (pricier) photographers out here on Long Island and that is what they are using. There are other bare bulb units out there, btw.

I am still using a nikon SB800 on a bracket, bounced off a pocket bouncer when the ceiling is too high. , I use a Sunpak 522 from about 1980 as a supplemental light. The newer Qflash will control an SB800 so it fits into my system. If I would have picked up the QFlash, I would not have bothered with the 800. Live and learn.

Here is what I believe is the deal on the cost - You only want to spend the money once, buy the tools that will carry you the longest, and provide the best bang for the bucks. If you are going to be shooting weddings, though natural light rules you are unlikely to be on a job without it.

With a Digital Rebel you could use any Canon EX series flash. The 580EX is the preferred model, but the slightly older 550EX has about the same power & most of the same features. However, if you are talking about the original Digital Rebel (6MPix), you should know that any E-TTL flash (like the EX series) will likely give you fits trying to keep the exposure consistent. So I recommend you stick with auto flashes, like the 283's, but with more power.

A Sunpak 544 or 555 would work, but don't get the Canon module with the 555. Just use a direct hotshoe/PC to HH cord arrangement. The Sunpak 622 offers even more power for more money. The Metz and Quantum flashes are better than Sunpaks, but their cost is also far higher, and unless you are going to do a lot of weddings are not worth it to you. And if you are going to do a lot of weddings, upgrade your camera first, and make sure you have backups of everything.

The 544 and 555 have low and safe sync voltage so you don't need the Safe-Sync with them, but don't use a Sunpak 522 with a Digital Rebel without that Safe-Sync as the sync voltage is far too high for safe use. Otherwise, they are all very similar. Check out this site for more info: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Either of the Sunpaks will work with a Quantum Turbo, or other, less expensive high voltage battery pack if you need faster recycles, but since they all use 6 AA batteries, they recycle pretty quick all by themselves if you use NiMH batteries.

I hope some of you are still following this posting :)

Thanks for all the input! I am now looking at a Metz 60. I have a question. How does this attach to my camera? Do I have to use it's little bracket or can I connect it to the Stroboframe flash bracket that I already have?