Is it possible to convert M2 button rewind to lever rw?

jorge

Today the rewind button assembly of my early M2 catapulted itself unnoticed by

me while on the street. This is the second time it's happened to me and while

I've already sent an inquiry for the part to DAG <crossing fingers>, what I'd

really like to do is convert this camera to lever rewind and at the same time

get a M4 style film take-up spool.

Does anyone know if this is feasible?

This camera is an excellent shooter, just had a CLA and is very well cared

for. Actually I feel more comfortable with it than with my MP or M6. Thus, I'd

like to keep it as useable as possible.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ray, my MP is in transit from a rangefinder adjustment. The M6 is good but I need two bodies. I've wrote to DAG. Do you have Sherry K?s email?

Rob, I've checked KEH, they have an M2R (lever, ST and M4 take-up spool) but they want "just" $1950 for it. I guess that's because of the collectability of this model. In any case, economicallywise your suggestion might be the best. I've failed to find a QL kit but eventually one will surface, in the meanwhile, I can find a good M2 with lever rewind for about $700. Nevertheless, I'll have to get that darned rewind button. I'm crossing my fingers to be able to find one.

Just got a reply from DAG. He has the spare part so I'll be able to fix the camera as soon as MexPost pleases :-( OTOH, Don says that the conversion to lever is extremely difficult and the needed parts scarce so I'll be leaving this as is. What I'll do is make sure that the %$#&*~ button is truly tight next time and probably put a drop of locktite on it (I hope I won't freeze the rewind this way). The M4 takeup conversion is $145 and probably worth every penny, seeing that the QL kits go for $100 and are scarcer than commemorative Leicas.

Your solution of making sure the button is secure sounds excellent. I've had my button-rewind M2 for nearly 40 years... I do recall the button's retaining screw coming partway out a couple times long ago, and had a tech secure it; he probably dabbed on some Loctite. Been fine since!

Doug H.,

I doubt that without specialized tools it would be an easy job to remove the advance lever without marring the retaining ring. Besides, the rubber gasket you mention might be, on one end, a simple o-ring that you may find in any hardware store or, on the other end, a dedicated part available only from dedicated Leica repair shops; hardly a typical DIY job. Certainly nothing I'd venture to tackle without a repair manual with good schematics and the proper tools.

I'd suggest to go the safe ways, either DAG or Sherry Krauter.

Jorge, (if you don't already know this) be *very careful* with which Loctite you use! Most formulations would be much too permanent for this job. One in particular works well for small machine screws that need to be disassembled without the use of undue torque or heat - it may be the purple stuff. Just an extremely small amount applied to one side of the threaded piece with a toothpick will do it.

Ken, many thanks for the heads up! Actually, being a car dealer, I was planning on asking the shop manager for advice. I believe we use some kind of cyanoacrilate that VW recommends, probably some Würth® stuff. I know from experience that it has a relatively low resistance to lateral (cut) force but very high to transversal (pull) force. <br><br>In any case, you are quite right, I want to go extremely easy with this stuff. I'd hate to lock the rewind function of the camera in either position forever! :-)

Coco... no entiendo ni papa de todo el rollo... pero hay productos de Loctite que tienen diversos grados de "retenciOn"... acostumbramos tener algo en existencia. Si puede servir lo vemos hasta el 2007... ya que este esta expirando. Aprovecho para enviarte un calido abrazo y mis mejores deseos para que tengas mucha salud! Feliz 2007!!!

Dear Fer,

I'll be in Uruapan tomorrow. I'll explain there. Much easier to show you the camera than to try to write an explanation. Suffice to say that the button rewind type M2 was produced by Leica for a brief period and the design is faulty. They reverted to the classic lever rewind and have kept that design forever since (except the M8 of course, as it is digital).

Thanks for the offer on the Loctite. I think I'll need a small drop of the lightest type but you're the engineer so I'll abide by your reco. Also, maybe you have in your shop a tool that helps me mount the assembly with sufficient torque so I can forget about it until the next service of the camera.

You don't know this camera; I believe you're acquainted only with my MP and M6, but I'm talking about a wee skinny screw that goes on the center of a *rotating* shaft about 3mm in diameter that needs to be kept static while you torque the screw. The button itself is spring-loaded so if/when the screw becomes loose, the whole assembly will jump a couple of meters off the camera.

See ya,

--coco.