Fast Slide Film - 400 Provia, 100 Provis Pushed +2, Or??

scott___1

good day,

i've got a shoot pretty soon which is going to require me to hand hold a 6x7

camera in pretty low light. As such, I'm trying to determine what's the best

route film-wise to get the best combination of speed and quality. Has anyone

compared the following...

Provia 400

Provia 100 pushed +2 to 320

Astia 100 pushed +2 to 320

Kodak 200 something pushed +1 to 400

any inputs wuold be much appreciated.

Scott

If possible, I would try to switch to neg. film, as the grain is much less for 400+ speed in neg. than for a given equivalent in slide. I would use Fuji 400 or even 800, especially since you're using Pentax 67 lenses which have to be stopped down to at least f8 for anything but the center to be sharp.

hey fellas,

the plan is to shoot with a Mamiya 7, not a P67. The new Provia 400 has an RMS of 13...

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/professional_films/provia_400f.html

you think neg films are less grainy than that? i haven't shot neg film in a while, but was under the impression that the equivalent RMS (i know there's no direct measurment) was in the high teens.

Scott,

<p>

Provia 100F pushed 2 stops is pretty awful. The slide looks bleached and a lot of dynamic range is lost. Last month I forgot to include polarising filter when using a handheld meter and push-processed the Provia 100F 2 stops. <a href=http://www.pbase.com/s9810588/image/71359295>Here's the result</a>. Pretty awful, no?

<p>

Provia 400F is the best ISO400 slide film I ever tried; not many but I stopped trying out other films after I tried Provia 400F. Forget Kodak Ektachrome 400 - the grain is comparable to Provia 400F pushed 2 stops!

<p>

Kris

Provia 400 is a very nice film, especially in 6x6 and larger. Good colours and sharpness and grain is not an issue. This has become my winter standard slide film.

A 400 speed colour neg like Pro400H is a good option if you're not committed to shooting slides.

This won't be of help, but while I was at Photokina I saw some LARGE prints (20"x60" ish)

from the upcoming Provia 400X. They were amazing to say the least. Highly saturated and

with relatively unnoticable grain... much, much better than 400F. Unfortunately I just checked

B&H, and it appears as though 400X is not available yet. I can't wait to start shooting with it,

especially for larger formats. 400X (RMS 11) will replace 400F (RMS 13) sometime in the

spring of 2007.

Paul, thanks for the heads-up on the Provia 400X. it is not yet available in the states, but it is readily available in Japan. Dirk Rosler has it in stock and is shipping me some in time for my trip. ISO 400 (though i'm told it's closer to 320) with a granularity of 11... sounds promising!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

I have just shot my first 5 120 rolls with the new Fuji Provia 400X. (I live in Japan, and although the 35mm rolls were on sale a few months ago it was only a couple of weeks ago that the 120 rolls appeared.)They have been sent off for processing and I'll report back with the results in the next few days.

Chris

www.travel67.com

• 2 weeks later...