I've seen a couple of documentaries on TV recently that have used some sort of a

3D effect on old photos. They pan old photos in the style of Ken Burns, but

they look 3D as well (in some cases with 3 or more "layers"). Is this some form

of layering several photos together, or what?

Anyone know about this?

Haven't seen it myself, but the first thing that comes to mind is 'stereo pairs' of photos. My guess is that stereo photographs were somewhat more common from the 1930's - 1960's, and they have faded somewhat from popularity from the 70's onwards.

Armed with good hi fidelity stereo pairs, I bet today's video folks can do some very interesting scan/pan sequences.

When you say 3D do you mean each layer has depth, or does the camera simply move through the "z-layer"? The latter is pretty simple to do with a compositing application like After Effects. You simply take each layer (image) and set its position in 3D, then you animate the camera (i.e., create a path for it).

1. They aren't stereo photos.

2. It's more likely something like Emre suggests. For example, there will be a photo of two people in front of a wall. The two people are on different planes and the wall is on a third, so, as the camera pans, each of the three move in relation to each other.

3. In some cases it is a relatively simple panning movement, in others the camera actually appears to move through the scene.

• 3 weeks later...