photoshop batch automating problem (saves the same file over and over)

Hello! I am having a problem with photoshop hopefully someone can help me

with. I set up a very simple action to resize some 300dpi Jpegs to an

emailable 72dpi and then save them in a new folder. For some reason, it saved

the same file 63 times (first pic) all with the same name. I know I am

missing somthing very simple here. Could someone please tell me?! The action

goes like this:

new action/record - resize - save - close. When automating or otherwise, it

just saves the same file over and over. What gives??? Please help!

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick,

I've had similar things happen and I'm not quite 100% sure of the resolution, but this is what I think may be happening. Are you opening all the images in PS, then running the action from the action menu? If so, I can understand the files all be saving as the same name because that's what is in the action.

Alternatively, try this:

(I'm on a PC, but I'm sure a similar path for Mac)

1. create, name and start recording a new action

2. Perform all the necessary steps: open file, resize, file save-as, close the image, THEN stop the recording

3. Now create a "droplet": File>Automate>Create droplet

(name the droplet and note where you save it.}

I select the "Overide Action "open" commands" which I believe will save you from having to make an open selection for each image - because it's already in the action.

4. From Explorer, drag/copy the applet to the desktop

5. From Explorer again, navigate to the folder where all the

images you want to run the action on. Highlight all the images and

drag them right on top of the droplet that is now on the desktop.

If the action is properly created, it should open/activate PS and run through all the images. Each image should be saved with it's own unique name.

Give it a try and let us know if it works,

Regards,

Lon

When you create the action, it saves a specific name and folder path to save into. If you want

to run the action on a folder full of files from within Photoshop, use the

<b>File->Automate->Batch</b> menu command.<br><br>

- Set the action you want to use and the Source folder. <br><br>

- Set the destination folder and then click the "Override Action "Save As" Command. You can

optionally set additional stuff into the file names as well. <br><br>

That should do the right thing for you and create a series of files in the destination folder

with the names as desired. <br><br>

Godfrey

• 3 years later...

<p>The problem isn't just the file name. Photoshop actually shows that it's loading different files, but it somehow saves THE SAME IMAGE with the same name (with an incremented extra digit) over and over.</p>

<p>Repeat: Photoshop loads every image in the directory, but saves only one of them, over and over.</p>

• 5 years later...

<p>I realize this is almost six years later, but I found this thread while searching out this same issue I was having. It stems back to a 90 page InDesign document with linked PSDs. I then discovered that when exporting in InDesign, vector data from the PSDs is not maintained. So I went back to the PSDs to export to Photoshop PDFs with the intention of relinking in InDesign with the vector data in these PDFs. I was trying to find a good way to batch process the 90 PSD files to PDF without having to go through the SAVE AS dialog every time (as is the case with "factory" batch save to PDF action). So I recorded my own action of open/save as/close, but every time I ran the batch it saved as the same file over and over again. <br>

Long story short, I found the answer, which is just ticking the checkbox in the batch window which is OVERRIDE ACTION "OPEN" COMMANDS. Duh. Since the Open command was already in my action, it needed to be overridden in the batch. </p>