M5 as a User

paul_chan4

IMHO: The only down side to an M5 is that you cannot collapse a lens into it.

It's meter output is a little more complex, but still very useful, but I kinda like the simplicity of the meter in an M6 Classic.

I love using this camera with the 90mm AA lens, the slightly bigger body helps to balance out the bigger lens.

Leica M5 - In my opinion the shape, size, looks are UGLY. It is the "throw back" of the Leica family.Does not look like the rest of its brothers and sisters. I have owned every single of the M series except M8 , but I am not attracted to M5 at all. Many will disagree, but this is my opinion and strong feelings.Yes, I have used it and hated it.

"Afzal Ansary , dec 14, 2006; 04:03 a.m.

Leica M5 - In my opinion the shape, size, looks are UGLY. It is the "throw back" of the Leica family.Does not look like the rest of its brothers and sisters. I have owned every single of the M series except M8 , but I am not attracted to M5 at all. Many will disagree, but this is my opinion and strong feelings.Yes, I have used it and hated it."

Thank you! Please spread your words far an wide. It helps to keep the price of the M5 down.

Having owned a Canon EF since 1975, picking up an M5 was the most natural feeling and operating Leica I could hope for. I don't know which design was first, but ALL cameras should have the shutter speed dial size and placement from the EF or M5. The M5 meter: I no longer use my hand meters. Fit and finish: None better. Very durable. The last of the Wetzler hand assembled and hand adjusted bodies. What more can I say? Shutter sound: What shutter sound?

Alas, the M5 is big, heavy, loud, ugly, useless and worthless. I suppose I should dump both of mine in the trash bin and move on.

Not very likely.<div>00JAQa-33994984.jpg.1726f5e34fba7b2c8ab626951557d072.jpg</div>

Thanks for your feedback. So I decided to dip into my pockets this Christmas and purchased a 3-lug chrome M5 from a private seller in Germany. I need to get it for it's unique design in the M series, big, heavy and 'outcast' tag. And hopefully it'll turn out to be a good user. Best wishes to all for the festive season.

Paul, Glad to see you take the plunge of accruing the M5 - an excellent move and you

won't regret it. I have been using M3, M5 and M6 for years. The M5 is by far a better

'user.' To fully appreciate an M5, I would recommend using it alone. IMHO, M5 doesn't mix

with other Ms, especially the M6. As far as many negative comments about the M5, I would

suspect that those users compared M5 with M6 side by side and shoot only few rolls of

film with the M5. The size and the weight of M5 feel much better than M6 for extended

shooting IMHO. As a user, the M5 fits naturally for both shooting styles of shutter priority

or aperture priority, whereas M6 is mostly suited for shutter priority shooting style. The

shutter on M5 sounded differently than that of M3 and M6, but not noisier. In fact, in

lower speeds, M5 is much quieter than other Ms. Enjoy your M5!

Ditto the previous comments. The M5 was a thorough re-think of the M platform. The Leitz engineers put all of their energy and ability (and aspirations) into this camera, which unfortunately was not what those still using M cameras in the 1970s (remember, most users had already gone to SLRs) wanted. It was also the last camera built in Wetzlar by the post-war generation that soon began to retire. Before I bought my M5 I went back and read all the old articles on it in LFI - it is an amazing camera, even 30+ years later. I hope you enjoy yours as much as those of us still using them do.

I love my M5. It is one of the best 35mm cameras ever made, in my opinion. I have three cameras: M5, M6, and F2AS. I will never get rid of any one of them, but if I had to get rid of them, the M6 would be the first to go and the M5 the last.

Congradulations and enjoy a great user!