Long vacation, ideas please!

dinesh.godavarty

Hey guys,

My company is forcing us to have a vacation from Dec 22 to Jan 7. So that is a

pretty long vacation.

I am planning to just drive all over the place. I am currently in Maryland.

Since it is winter, I thought I might go to Big Bend NP, TX. then white sands

in NM, then great sand dunes and mesa verde in CO.

Another alternative is to drive to yellowstone, then swing down to CO.

I was also thinking of national parks in UT (like zion and bryce canyon) and CO.

Since I will be hiking, I would not like the frigid temperatures. Please give

me suggestions to kill these 17 days. I shall be doing nature photography only.

Thanks!

"Since I will be hiking, I would not like the frigid temperatures."

The only place you mention that remotely qualifies in December & January, would be Big Bend NP, but even there, make sure to check the weather forecast!

CO, UT, WY, are all going to typically have much colder temps and worse winter weather than Maryland, this time of year. If you don't have winter survival skills, be very careful traveling to these areas!

You can get stuck and there is little cellular phone coverage when you leave the main roads. Keep a survival kit in your car!

Be careful, the Yellowstone forecast shows sub-zero temps this week....

A couple decades ago, AAA magazine published a trip that my wife and I took. It could be a nice piece of your itinerary. It was basically a 1000-mile circuit around the "four-corners" area of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. It was quite lovely...including Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly ("Shay"), and Monument Valley. Here's one of the area's links:

http://www.fourcornerssw.com/

I also think one of the best decisions we made was to stay at Gouldings Lodge, which is right smack in the middle of Monument Valley. Nothing like waking up to sunrise over "the Mittens"! Here's the lodge's link:

http://www.gouldings.com/

Have a great time!

Sincerely,

Dave

The "sunbelt" which would be the southern portions of Arisona, New Mexico, California, Texas, etc. Definitely a long drive - something the "snowbirds" do so these won't necessarily be empty of people. The higher elevation western desert and mountain areas will be colder than I think you want. Even these areas aren't immune from chillier or wet weather but it's sometimes more avoidable. Come south and then west on I-10. I-40 has serious winter weather potential, especially in the high country of New Mexico/Arizona.

Just to confirm the distances you are thinking about, last month we drove from Alberta to Western NY, crossing Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska and so on across the mid-west. It was a solid 5 days of driving, 8 hours a day, with no time to pause and take pictures. If you are going as far north as Yellowstone, you need to think about winter hazards in the mountains and plan your time accordingly. Use mapquest to plan each day's drive, we found them quite accurate in terms of time required each day. We did have excellent weather though, if you hit rain or snow those times will really change.

"... Use mapquest to plan each day's drive..."

This advice may be fine for Interstate highways or main routes but DO NOT rely on any mapping software or even GPS navigation systems when the software routes you into BLM or Forest Service lands. Doing so can get you into very serious trouble.

The problem is that the underlying data all these systems use is flawed...often based on very outdated information or worse, data that is just plain wrong!

For example: I live in a rural area surrounded by BLM and Forest Service land. When people use their in-car GPS navigation system or get directions via Mapquest or similar software, trying to get to my house from Interstate 5, they are routed up BLM dirt roads that dead-end!

According to my neighbors, the routes suggested by these mapping systems were never viable in their 30+ years living in the area.

Beware, especially in winter weather!

Dinesh,

If it hasn't been said already, driving into Yellowstone isn't possible in December, you have

to take a snowcat coach into the park interior. Unless you are keen about x-country skiing or

snowmobiling you might think about another season for yellowstone.

The four corners idea above is an excellent choice, warmer temps, safer driving and plenty to

photograph. Lots of awseome ruins but many without the crowds of mesa Verde