Need camera bag recommendation...

william_jennings

I'm partial to the Lowepro Slingshot bags, especially for travel. I use the 200 AW, but I

suspect that the smallest model might do the trick for you.

A great feature of these bags is that they carry like a backpack (with one strap) slung over

your shoulder, but can slide forward so that you can access your stuff without removing the

bag.

Lowe Pro's Nova 2AW would be worth consideration:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/allWeather/Nova_2_AW.aspx

I used this for a 20D with a 24-70, for quite a while. The lid hinges towards your body. I believe it's handier if it hinges the other way. Still, not a bad bag, and about the right size. Has all weather cover, and good sub-compartments.

"Don't get a camera bag. They are not very versatile and are a magnet for thieves. A messenger bag will fit your camera and lens with ease, plus a few sundries like books or magazines, and be much more discreet to boot."

That's actually why I was looking at the Crumpler bags. They don't look like camera bags.

A regular old bag of any type would work, but no padding. I was hoping to find something small that would fit the above, something to travel with.

Thanks.

The Lowepro toploader sounds perfect for you. Put in the Camera with the 28-135, a flash and everything you need for great pics in there. Its rugged, comfortable and very well built and takes very rough treatment too. Maybe Tamrac and others have similar bags too.

The Lowepro Slingshot 100 fits my 10D with 28-135mm IS and room for another lens, pouch with batteries and CF cards, cleaning stuff, a couple of filters, and almost a partridge in a pear tree. The charger would fit. Alternately, I can get camera and IS lens in the Crumpler Budgie Smuggler, too, along with the accessory pouch and a filter or two.

I can think of several which can fit but I will not state names. To me, bags and tripods belong to a category of their own in a sense that they require very personal fitting and what's good for me may well not be good for you, even if we have the same equipment. Thus I will - personally - never recommend a specific model. For example, I once saw on the web a bag that I really liked. However, when I got to the store and tried it out I found that it wasn't very comfortable. I tried another and - surprise - it was excellent. Thus I suggest you do the same. Go to the store and try them out yourself. Only this way will ensure you will get the one which fits YOU best.

Suggesting a brand is a different thing and I (like many) find Lowepro and Tamrac bags to be excellent.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I ended up getting a Lowepro EX140 from Best Buy last night. I'm sort of pinched on time and couldn't wait for something to be shipped.

The bag fits the body with lens on and left me enough room to stash my 50/1.8 in there too. The exterior pockets were able to hold batteries, cards, charger, etc.

My previous bags have been Tamrac, my first Lowepro, not bad especially considering it could be had at Best Buy.

Thanks everybody for their suggestions.

William,

for my trip to Serbia this past Spring, I got a Tamrac Expedition 3 backpack. It was roomy enough for 2 camera bodies (a Canon 30D and a Canon Rebel XS), 2 lenses, cards, batteries, film, etc., but was small enough to easily fit under an airplane seat, without having to use the overhead bin. I had no problems with it going through security either (and going through Heathrow can be harrowing at times!).

I have a big Lowepro backpack (the Pro Trekker 2 with waterproof cover, and a Lowepro journalist's bag, but both are too cumbersome and big. My Tamrac went with me for 10 days in Serbia, and I find it's even great for when I do shoots and I don't need my big 100-400 IS lens or tripod to haul around.

sheryl