Does anyone know where on the web I can find a repair manual for the Canon EF

28-135 IS lens? My copy of this lens has a few dust particles behind the front

element and I just want to remove this element to clean it. I have pulled

several EF lenses before and successfully cleaned them but I just would like

remove the element the right way the first time. I recall there is a website

that has diagrams of how some lenses and cameras are stripped down, sort of

repair manuals. I did download one for the EOS 10D some time ago but just

can't remember what the site name is. Google searches have not helped. I am

not up to sending the lens to a service facility for cleaning. Thanks.

<p>I think I know the Web site you mention; it has exploded parts diagrams for a variety of EOS equipment. I have it bookmarked at home, and will try to remember to dig it up and post it this evening.</p>

<p>The question I would have is what image defect, specifically, can you see in your pictures which is attributable to the dust particles. "A few dust particles behind the front element" likely make little if any difference to your images, but an accident while disassembling the lens would.</p>

<p>I have no idea if <a href="http://www.eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=ZoomCreep" target="_blank">this</a> (a fix for the zoom creep that is so prevalent in this lens) would be of use in disassembling the lens, or if it would only cause trouble. Of course, any time you try to take something apart, you do so at your own risk.</p>

I can confidentally say that you will be wasting your time to try and clean particles off of behind the front element. You can pretty much coat an entire element with a pretty thick layer of dust, and all you will notice in your pictures are a SLIGHT loss in contrast. The specs themselves WILL NOT show up in your pictures. If you see specs in your pictures, clean your sensor (please just google this if you don't know what that is). In addition, unless you have optical collimating equipment, you run a high risk of misaligning the elements when you put them back in.

Clean the dust out today, and it will return soon in days hence. A waste of time, especially

considering the 28-135 IS is a dust magnet and vacating a few particles shall not enrich your

images one iota.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks to you Steve for the link. This is exactly what I have been searching for.

Thanks to all the other respondents. I take note of the cautions. In fact I was wondering why dust got behing the element so easily. But I was shooting in very dusty condition at a motor rally and kept a towel in hand to cover the camera as soon as the dust was rising. I may opt to leave the lens as is if there are no noticeable specks on future pics. There are no specks on the rally pics so I dont think the sensor was affected. Thanks again.