My first lens...

greg_h.

Greetings all!

I'm certain this question has been asked by many beginners before, but I'm

started to become overwhelmed by the choices in front of me. Looking for some

guidance, if anyone is willing to share their wisdom and opinions?

I've decided to purchase a D70s after the holidays this year, and the problem

facing me now is choosing a decent quality first lens. Something to get the ball

rolling, so to speak.

Some of the choices I am currently considering include the:

- Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5

- Nikon AF-S DX 18-135mm F3.5-5.6

- Nikon AF-D 28-105mm F3.5-4.5

and on the slightly more expensive end of things, the..

- Nikon AF-G 24-120mm F3.5-5.6 VR

Does anyone here have experience with those particular lenses. Anything I need

to take into consideration that would make one better than another? Any

generally known flaws with those lenses that I'm unaware of?

What I'm looking for to start me off is a "street sweeper" lens, or something I

can carry around that will give me flexibility. For that reason I was

considering the 18-135 at first, but it's also cheaper than the 18-70...is that

a reflection of quality?

Will the 28-105 feel limiting? Will I miss those extra 10mm at the wide end of

the lens?

Are their any other lenses that I should be taking into consideration?

I've done way too much reading on Ken Rockwell's site in the past few days, and

all he seems to say these days is that the 18-200 VR is the way to go.

Unfortunately I don't have the money for that lens right now; I'm looking for

something that will still give me fairly decent coverage, while also producing

good results.

Suggestions? Advice? Here's your chance to help someone that Ken Rockwell could not!

But seriously, any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

-gh

For a "general purpose" lens for a Nikon 16x24mm sensor DSLR, I would get a lens that starts from 18mm or so rather than 24mm or 28mm. 24 or 28 are great for 35mm film SLRs; on DSLRs, they are simply not wide enough.

I would suggest the 18-70mm DX. The 18-135 DX is new and has a plastic mount, which is a clear sign for low quality construction. A slow 135mm lens will be difficult to hand hold without the benefit of VR. In other words, you'll likey get blury images near 135mm anyway, so why not get the 18-70?

If possible, I would get the D80 over the D70s. Quite a few people are now upgrading from the D70/D70s to the D80, which has more pixels, generally newer technology, better AF and a better viewfinder. The only advantage for the D70s is lower price.

For web sites, I would suggest a higher quality one such as Thom Hogan's http://bythom.com.

Ditto on the recommendation for the 18-70mm. I can't comment on comparisons with the other lenses you mention (since I haven't owned any of them), but my personal experience with the 18-70mm was _very_ positive. Sharp, contrasty, good color - nice lens that covers the basic focal-length range on a 1.5-crop camera.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Here's another vote for the 18-70mm DX. It's a very nice "walking around" lens. It's the

work horse of my camera setup. Whenever I'm heading out to shoot with no particular

objective in mind, that's the lens I use.

I'd also suggest that as a beginner, you're going to want at least one piece of top notch

glass in your bag as well as the 18-70. It's fun to have a really outstanding lens to play

with as you ramp up. To that end, I HIGHLY recommend the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D. It's

an outstanding lens and it can be had for around $100 brand new. You should be able to

get the 18-70 and the 50mm for under $500. If you look around your local camera shops

you can probably find used examples of both of those lenses in excellent condition for

just over $300 total. You really can't go wrong with either of those lenses and both will

keep you busy long enough to get comfortable with the D70s and get a feel for what kind

of photography you're interested in doing. Then you can refine your wish list based on

that.

Oh, and as mentioned above, if your budget will allow, consider the D80 over the D70s. The

D80 is a great value and you won't regret paying out the extra cash up front to have the

additional features it offers over the D70s. That said, if you're set on the D70s and don't feel

like you can justify the extra money for the D80, don't hesitate. I owned the D70s for about a

year before upgrading to a D200 and I couldn't have been happier with it. People gripe about

the small viewfinder but it never represented a major road block to my photography. The

D70s is feature packed, makes great pictures and is very easy to operate. Either camera

would be a good choice.

OR...

(This idea only works if you can buy just the D40 body after the holidays, which I suspect

will be the case.)

You could get a D40 (the reviews have been quite good) and get the 18-200. Probably

only a little more than a D70 and an 18-70, and the lens will hold it's value, something

neither camera will do. If you aren't going to buy a lot of lenses in the long run, the

D40/18-200 combo looks pretty good. (If you don't need lots of white balance fine-

tuning, a grid, and DOF preview...)

What I mean is, regardless of what consumer DSLR camer you buy, it will drop like a stone

in value right away. The lens won't, however, so, if you're seriously considering a D70,

step "down" to a D40 and get a better lens. It will likely give you the same image quality as

a D70, if not better.

You might also consider 35-70mm f2.8. Short zoom range but a supreme quality which can be bought second hand in the price range you are looking for. You might end up selling all the lenses you have mentioned but this one might stay with you.

By the way becareful with Ken Rockwell site, that guy reviews lenses he hasn't even touched!

If you are just starting out get the cheapest lens you can afford to break. This is my 18-70 and it was just the smallest of mistakes...

Well, in a way it's good. I am extra careful now with all my equipment. At least that's how I can justify it to my self.

BTW, it takes great pictures. Don't know about the bokeh though.